Flight for Life Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently living in the mountains of Colorado working as a ski instructor as a b.s. (but awesome) post grad job. I’ve seen a fair amount of flight for life helicopters coming from the mountains on their way to Denver. I imagine that the person on board isn’t in great condition (hence the need to be airlifted to a major city with major hospitals). When they arrive to their destination who sees them? Do they go to an Er doc? ICU? Straight in to surgery? I’m guessing it depends on what’s up with them, but are there any generalities of who sees them first once they land on the helipad?

Members don't see this ad.

You've pretty much hit all of the points here. They may or may not be in grave condition, depending on the injury/illness etc. Maybe heli is the only efficient way to care over there during certain times, maybe they have catastrophic traumatic injuries, or maybe anything in between.

When they land, they'll most likely be seen in the ED first. Rarely/semi-rarely they may go straight to surgery, but will probably be seen by the ED doc first anyways. Almost never will they go straight to the ICU unless they're merely being transferred via heli from another facility. At least that's how it worked when I flew in the Midwest.

You've pretty much hit all of the points here. They may or may not be in grave condition, depending on the injury/illness etc. Maybe heli is the only efficient way to care over there during certain times, maybe they have catastrophic traumatic injuries, or maybe anything in between.

When they land, they'll most likely be seen in the ED first. Rarely/semi-rarely they may go straight to surgery, but will probably be seen by the ED doc first anyways. Almost never will they go straight to the ICU unless they're merely being transferred via heli from another facility. At least that's how it worked when I flew in the Midwest.

Ah that makes sense. So they’ll typically be evaluated and stabilized by the ED doc before they get shipped off to where ever they need to go whether it’s the ICU, surgery, etc?

I saw two orange helicopters heading towards Denver between 11am and 1pm yesterday. They’ve been busy this season.

STEMIs may go to the cath lab.
Transfers go to the floor.
Everything else goes to the ER.
I've discharged people before the helicopter takes off before.

Reactions: 1 user