Flip through step 2 ck book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenix899

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering what people's opinion on flipping through a step 2 book (such as step up to step 2) when prepping for the boards. Not talking about trying to memorize it or anything (like we do w FA), just wondering if you think there is any insight to be gained from this, I think a recent high scorer posted that he did this...(though Im sure this doesn't solely account his great performance of course)

Members don't see this ad.

my 2 cents:

i go to a school where we take step 1 after clinical year. a lot of the upperclassmen have said that having that clinical experience and studying for shelf exams and step 2 has helped them when it came time to take step 1. and our class scores strongly reflect this. but i'm not sure if just flipping through step 2 material is the same as actually being on wards and seeing patients and studying hardcore for shelf exams, pimping, step2, etc. step 1 is still a basic sciences exam and you should really know first aid and uworld (for step 1) as well as you possibly can before even thinking about moving on to step 2. if i was in your position i would only do it as a luxury after every other avenue to solidify your step1 knowledge had been exhausted.

plus there's plenty of people who score extremely well without having any clinical experience. these people are probably much better at the nitty-gritty biochem, molecular bio, and esoteric pathophys since it's still fresh in their heads while people who take it after clinicals are probably better at reading CT's, CXR's, pharm, and clinical context but weaker in those other areas.