Florida Anesthesia programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arthrodisiac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone talk about anesthesia programs in and around miami? Im just curious on quality, ability to get fellowships, and the ability to apply from out of state? Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad.

miami is one of the hottest programs right now. up and coming. they have taken over miami proper adding kaiser, sinai, and a couple other hospitals to the service. very competitive to get a spot there now. do anesthesia research or have 90% step 1 to have a shot.

The former Chairman of the Education Committee and section chief of OB anesthesia at Miami is my current partner who I respect immensely.

If you are really interested ...PM me, and I will put you in contact with him and he can give you the "dirt" on the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Without a doubt, I also think its an up and coming program, however, I disagree with the above post. Its a great program but you do not have to be a superb applicant to get a spot at Miami. I know many residents and medical students who both matched there and who interviewed there with less than average board scores, grades and overall resumes. You definitely do not need a 90% Step1 or have to do anesthesia research to get an interview or match there.

I do think that all applicants that are considering the southeast area should take the time to apply and/or interview at Miami because the PD is amazing and has big plans for the program and its future.

Miami may be a desirable spot and a favorable program, but it is definitely not that hard to get into. I know people this year who got into the program that are a far cry from the req's listed below.

I'd say Florida programs go UF > Mayo > Miami

UF has an amazing program with great education opportunities inside and outside the OR. Mayo has the same, with a "weaker" OR experience, while shipping some folks out for some things, but it's education program is strong. I've been told that Miami is a workhorse program with limited education outside and inside the OR.

Of course, I could be wrong, and the above is one person's opinion, so no flippin' out please! I absolutely stand by my assessment on how difficult it is to obtain a spot.

miami is one of the hottest programs right now. up and coming. they have taken over miami proper adding kaiser, sinai, and a couple other hospitals to the service. very competitive to get a spot there now. do anesthesia research or have 90% step 1 to have a shot.