Florida EM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am researching allopathic EM programs; and preparing to apply during the next cycle. I am looking at the SE US, likely Texas, Louisiana, Florida, and North Carolina.

Regarding the Florida programs: Tampa, Jacksonville, and Orlando. I can only find a website for Orlando - anyone know of a website for the other two? Any plusses or minuses about these three in particular that anyone would like to share would be appreciated.

Another thing I found funny - Assuming Tampa General is the primary hospital for the USF program: both Tampa General and Orlando Regional claim on their respective websites that they are the ONLY level 1 trauma center in central Florida. How can that be??

Anyways, any info. on the allopathic Florida programs would be helpful, especially the two without websites.

Thanks in advance!!

Scott, MS 3.95

Members don't see this ad.

Ack! Don't use the above website for our program.... I created a new one...

its www.usfemresidency.com

Tampa General is the only Level 1 hospital in the west section of Florida. Orlando is about an hour and a half away and is smack dab in the middle of the state. We get trauma alerts and trauma and medical transfers in about a 100-150 mile radius to the north and south of us (all the way down to Naples)... Orlando gets most of the stuff in the center of the state and east coast.

If you have any specific questions about my program, USF, post it here and I'll try to help you!

Q

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing I found funny - Assuming Tampa General is the primary hospital for the USF program: both Tampa General and Orlando Regional claim on their respective websites that they are the ONLY level 1 trauma center in central Florida. How can that be??

Just a funny way (historical artifact?) that Floridians describe their state.

To us, "central Florida" does not mean the entire center of the peninsula - it refers to the axis of gainesville-ocala-orlando (although some refer to Gainesville as north-central).

Tampa is generally referred to as just Tampa <g>, or sometimes the "west coast". "West Florida" usually refers to the panhandle - to further confuse matters, the "University of South Florida" is in Tampa, which is a loooooong drive down to Miami.

The University of Central Florida is in Orlando, which, if you look at a map, isn't that far north of USF in Tampa at all....

I think we do it just to confuse the newcomers (I almost said "Yankees", but most Floridians are transplants anyway....)

The only reason I can think of why Tampa General would call themselves "Central Florida" is using the rough notion of Tampa as being in the center-ish of the Western coast, where Orlando is using the traditional notion of "central Florida" in their description.

Clear as mud?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was using the listings on SAEM, but I guess the links were just broken to those two programs. I will take a look at both of them!

Maybe I will see you on an interview soon!

-Scott, MS 3.951

Isn't Gainsville starting an EM residency? They just opened a Level 1 trauma center, and I heard that the JAX resident won't be rotating their anymore.

I did indeed hear that Gainesville is starting a new EM residency. Univ of Miami is also trying to get accredited for their EM program as well. I am nto sure when they will be accepting apps or what... but it is in the pipeline.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
I did indeed hear that Gainesville is starting a new EM residency. Univ of Miami is also trying to get accredited for their EM program as well. I am nto sure when they will be accepting apps or what... but it is in the pipeline.

Q

If only Indiana could have more EM residencies. I'm not sure why IU/Methodist gets a monopoly. Other states with the same population have 4-5 residencies.

JAX residents will be in Gainesville for at least one more year, but Gainesville is on track for site visits by the RRC very soon. If all goes well they may be trying to match residents for the 06-07 year. They've been a level I since October of last year. As a JAX resident having worked in both hospitals, I'd choose JAX over GV any day and especially with a new program but they do have some good faculty. If you have specific questions about either program, i'll do my best to answer. I know there are still a lot of people out there who think that JAX residents have to teach themselves, get no supervision and have a malignant program but I can say from 2 years of experience that I'm very happy and there is just the right mix of autonomy and teaching and there are many benefits to having a "resident run program!" I think there is a lot of bogus conjecture out there about JAX.

generalveers,

do i remember correctly from my visit that methodist and wishard are the only level 1's in indiana?

anonymousEM said:
JAX residents will be in Gainesville for at least one more year, but Gainesville is on track for site visits by the RRC very soon. If all goes well they may be trying to match residents for the 06-07 year. They've been a level I since October of last year. As a JAX resident having worked in both hospitals, I'd choose JAX over GV any day and especially with a new program but they do have some good faculty. If you have specific questions about either program, i'll do my best to answer. I know there are still a lot of people out there who think that JAX residents have to teach themselves, get no supervision and have a malignant program but I can say from 2 years of experience that I'm very happy and there is just the right mix of autonomy and teaching and there are many benefits to having a "resident run program!" I think there is a lot of bogus conjecture out there about JAX.

Hey there anonymousEM,
I'm very interested in Florida EM programs and would like to hear anything you would have to say about your program in Jax. Thanks, hasta

hastalamalaika said:
Hey there anonymousEM,
I'm very interested in Florida EM programs and would like to hear anything you would have to say about your program in Jax. Thanks, hasta
hasta-
its probably best to ask specific questions. Anony goes to UF, I got to USF, and I think there's a lurker or two that go to ORMC. Just ask your specific questions and hopefully you'll get answers. Such is the beauty of an "active" SDN.

Q

AMBinNC said:
generalveers,

do i remember correctly from my visit that methodist and wishard are the only level 1's in indiana?

They are the only Level 1 trauma centers, which is kind of strange for state like Indiana that has several large cities. South Bend, Fort Wayne and Muncie all are over 100,000 people, yet none of them have a level 1 trauma center. If you compare it to Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio where every rinky-dink city (Peoria?) gets a level 1, then it's strange. I'm not sure if it impacts on patient care or not, but major trauma at those smaller centers is stablized at the community hospitals then sent to Indy for trauma care.

anonymousEM said:
I know there are still a lot of people out there who think that JAX residents have to teach themselves, get no supervision and have a malignant program but I can say from 2 years of experience that I'm very happy and there is just the right mix of autonomy and teaching and there are many benefits to having a "resident run program!" I think there is a lot of bogus conjecture out there about JAX.

I heard the exact same things about JAX, however after rotating there for a month last September I can say they aren't true. I enjoyed my month there, and was hoping for a residency spot. Oh well, California is NEAR water, just on the wrong coast.

hasta-tell me what you want to know (or PM me if you feel it necessary). Strengths of our program--we get a lot of responsibility for teaching early on-both other residents and students which makes us know our stuff AND why we do it. The residency directors are definately resident advocates both in the hospital and in future careers...they're helping me immensely. Our residents are fun and get along well (though I doubt there are many EM residencies where this isn't true). The first year is tough...we work our interns right up to the hours (but not over!) so that the 2nd years have it a little better and the PGY3s have it great! That was part of why I came here...work hard the 4 months in the dept 1st year so that the next 2 years when you're there all the time there's more time for relaxing at the beach or moonlighting 3rd year or whatever else you're into. Procedures....I'm in trouble for documentation because I always forget...we do so many that I don't even think it's a big deal any more and forget to keep the stickers. Airway is a primary PGY1 task and 3rd years fight for the chance to have first crack in the few hours when there is no intern. Trauma, we alternate days with the surg service as to who's boss and who's airway...50% ED days plus about 33% of trauma's days are an ER senior as the TR senior= majority of the time we're the boss. Again, there's so many that often 4 pts come at once and everyone gets to be a boss and get started by themselves--more than enough to go around here too.

To avoid being onesided-weakenesses- If you require someone telling you you must sit down and read chapters 1-20 of tintinalli this week and there will be a test at conference, you will not do well. There is a loose reading schedule to go along with conference, but it's up to each resident to read as appropriate. Our clinical training is unbelievable, but some people suffer on the inservice because they don't take the initiative to keep up with reading. Research is done but not a huge emphasis here...that can be good or bad depending on your opinion. You'd have tons of support if you came with your own project, but few residents make it a priority.

That being said, we have some great researchers here. Dr. Luten in Peds developed the measuring tape/color system (Broslow-Luten system), Dr. Wears is world-renound in systems/errors etc, Dr. Harwood-Nuss has her book out there. Drs. Godwin and Caro are on clinical policies committees for ACEP, etc...Best of luck.

hasta-
not to be outdone by AnonymousEM, my program at USF is definately an up and comer. Starting this July 1st, we will FINALLY have three FULL resident classes. I was in the charter class of our program... and really am proud of where it has gone and where it will go.
We are a PGY1-3 program at a Level I urban teaching hospital in downtown Tampa... Tampa General Hospital. USF has nearly all the specialties at our hospital, so there are a lot of residents and fellows you can really get some great teaching from, if need be. We see approx 70k or so a year, and have about 3500 trauma alerts a year.
Starting July 1st, the EM residents will be in complete control of all trauma alerts, including the running of the alerts, as well as airway (with anesthesia back up).
Teaching is first rate and 1:1 with the attendings. We definately see a lot of sick urban patients (HIV, CHF, etc), but since TGH is located in the nicest part of downtown, we also see the upper class of society with all their sprained ankles and abdominal pains. Definately a large variety of patient demographics (probably moreso than any other residency I interviewed at). Lots of opportunities about at our program mainly because its so new. If youre' interested in EMS, Tox, International EM, blah blah, there are opportunities for you to grow in them, basically because our program has so many fresh opportunities being so new!
We will receive our permanent accredidation this upcomign year, and there is no reason to believe we won't get it.

Hope this helps.

PM or post any specific questions.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of the EM programs in FL. I do think each has their own flavor, and obviuosly location, but I would be happy at any of them! (I personally ranked UF #3 on my list... USF #1).

Q

Not to be outdone by Quinn--UF Jax also has opportunities for whatever niche you'd like to explore--we had a resident as a team MD for a hs football team, 12 MDs WERE INSIDE THE SUPERBOWL, residents go to staff minor league hockey games, residents started an Ultrasound column in the ACEP newsletter, A resident was medical director of a local EMS, another resident is starting an international EM interest group, SWAT support, 3 Disaster Medical Assistance Team deployments for the hurricanes last year....the sky's the limit. I personally didn't interview at any of the other FL programs, but know people from all of them and I agree with Quinn, different flavor but all would be excellent places to train with the right fit for you. Rotate if you can and apply broadly no matter what...don't let a few more dollars leave you wondering forever if you could've gone somewhere if only you'd applied.

GeneralVeers said:
They are the only Level 1 trauma centers, which is kind of strange for state like Indiana that has several large cities. South Bend, Fort Wayne and Muncie all are over 100,000 people, yet none of them have a level 1 trauma center. If you compare it to Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio where every rinky-dink city (Peoria?) gets a level 1, then it's strange. I'm not sure if it impacts on patient care or not, but major trauma at those smaller centers is stablized at the community hospitals then sent to Indy for trauma care.

Indiana like Kentucky has no state trauma system.

QuinnNSU said:
Ack! Don't use the above website for our program.... I created a new one...

its www.usfemresidency.com

Q

Excellent job on the website; I noticed that the link has been updated on the SAEM catalog as well. What advocacy!

With regard to anonymous' comments, there's always scuttlebut and "bogus" info about programs to be found. What's important is to pose specific questions so that you can get a decent idea of where to spend your away elective time. People on this EM forum are generally helpful, direct, and honest.

I spent a month at UF-Jax and interviewed at USF. Though most EM programs are similar in that they all will provide you with the required training and procedures, there are important differences in terms of the actual learning environment, program location, didactic structure, and so forth. Websites are an excellent way to get some basic info, but the importance of talking with current residents (not just one) and perhaps considering rotation/observation time is hard to overstate. I thought I knew what I wanted in a program until I saw residents and attendings in action. I couldn't fit USF into my schedule but the program was more than willing to schedule me some observation shifts. This strategy accomplishes several things. It expresses your interest in a program a bit more formatively and permits you some valuable time to interact with residents on the job. Best of luck!

Push

after living all over the southeast, i am glad to stay (probably forever) in Florida. All the programs in Fl, and probably the same with most in CA and NY will fill because it is FL, a heavily populated state already and people have the image of everyone laying on the beach all day around here. my thoughts on the program, remembering that I am a new resident at UF-JAX

UF-JAX--#1 choice, county hospital!! if you like the county scene, it is for you. If not, it probably is not and it is pretty much that simple. Tons of autonomy. I rotated here and had plenty of attending interaction. volume and learning curve is huge so be prepared. but i think that the second year residents here were as good as most 3rd year grads at many of the other programs i am familiar with. also is a well-established program and cost of living is not disastrous. Most of the people that have said they did not like Jax in my opinion were looking for a more laid back learn it all in 3 years type of place and i think this program wants you prepared earlier than most programs.

USF-#2 choice, decent blend in my opinon of a community hospital with a county feel. the volume is not as high, but the acuity is similar. this is a relatively new program, but tampa is a great place to live although you really cannot afford to live near the hospital (Projects maybe!!) This program will excel if not on location alone, and will have a new ED soon, decent attendings that I met except for one which was very negatively reveered on the interview scene. Not an issue though. Oh, and the nurses really are hot as previously described in multiple posts if that is your deciding factor.

Orlando--do not know much about this place. I have nightmares about Mickey mouse!! I think miami would do great, but gainesville would probably be the worst of the 5 locations in FL to choose from unless you are a UF fan.

jonwilli said:
after living all over the southeast, i am glad to stay (probably forever) in Florida. All the programs in Fl, and probably the same with most in CA and NY will fill because it is FL, a heavily populated state already and people have the image of everyone laying on the beach all day around here. my thoughts on the program, remembering that I am a new resident at UF-JAX

UF-JAX--#1 choice, county hospital!! if you like the county scene, it is for you. If not, it probably is not and it is pretty much that simple. Tons of autonomy. I rotated here and had plenty of attending interaction. volume and learning curve is huge so be prepared. but i think that the second year residents here were as good as most 3rd year grads at many of the other programs i am familiar with. also is a well-established program and cost of living is not disastrous. Most of the people that have said they did not like Jax in my opinion were looking for a more laid back learn it all in 3 years type of place and i think this program wants you prepared earlier than most programs.

USF-#2 choice, decent blend in my opinon of a community hospital with a county feel. the volume is not as high, but the acuity is similar. this is a relatively new program, but tampa is a great place to live although you really cannot afford to live near the hospital (Projects maybe!!) This program will excel if not on location alone, and will have a new ED soon, decent attendings that I met except for one which was very negatively reveered on the interview scene. Not an issue though. Oh, and the nurses really are hot as previously described in multiple posts if that is your deciding factor.
I think miami would do great, but gainesville would probably be the worst of the 5 locations in FL to choose from unless you are a UF fan.

This thread should earn a place in the, "sticky" category for peeps looking for some good advice. That said, isn't the amount of subjectivity here AMAZING? I know there's a little bit of a science with regard to new resident selection, but why people choose one particular program over another looks like is a different question altogether.

Take the Gainesville site, for example. I heard that the RRC should be, or already has, visited Shands-UF for preliminary accreditation. Its definitely possible that this program will be recruiting outside of the 2006 or 2007 match. Shands UF gets a bad rap from the Jax residents for a variety of reasons. I heard this during my rotations at Jax and during my time at the UF ER. While I agree that Shands has its efficiency and space issues, there are some benefits to Gainesville.

First, there's tons of opportunity for event medicine. Games at Ben Hill Griffin stadium bring over 100,000 people to the center of UF's campus. The potential for disaster there is amazing.. I had to call a mass transit bus during one summer afternoon just so I had a place to put all of the heat related casualties! If event medicine isn't your thing, there's plenty of EMS related things to do in Gainesville. ShandsCair does lots of interfacility and scene transport from surrounding counties, and Alachua County is trying to organize a critical care transport program. There''s a tactical EMS team working with the local sherrif's officer in Gainesville as well. Cost of living is low in Gainesville, and its certainly a growing community. Without question, I would have given UF some SERIOUS consideration had they been granted RRC approval during my match year.

My point is simply this: when fourth year students try to narrow down their ROLs, I think visiting a program site and speaking directly with pepole in the know is of great value. For every person that absolutely adores Jacksonville, there is probably another who declined to place it on their rank order list. I'm sure this is similar with EM residencies across the board- its all part of the subjective, "fit" associated with the top programs on an applicant's list. Also, overanalyzation can be counterproductive. After making a list of, "pro's and con's" its good to keep in mind that certain factors are out of an applicant's hand. As many other posters have said, be prepared to travel to programs in the top three spots. Residents and attendings alike have their own biases when describing a particular training site. Personally speaking, I view interaction with EMS an integral part of any EM residency. EMS experience was relegated to a third year ride-a-long month at Jacksonville.. this stands in stark contrast to programs like UMass where residents are FORCED to participate in aeromedical transports beginning in their first year. To conclude, there's tons of excellent and direct advice on this forum. Just don't forget to judge the information for yourself, preferrably via an away rotation, observation shift, or interaction with a program's current residents. Good luck, again!

PS: I was not one of the, "looking for a more laid back learn it all in 3 years type of" student. Just FYI! :)

-Push