Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eablackwell

It Wasn't Me
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figured if UM had a thread, we should. :) Anyone else sure they'll be at FIU COM next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm feeling about 99% sure- hoping to get some financial aid to solidify my decision :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just solidified my answer after having received some good news about reclassification of my residency. Now that I can reclassify as an FL resident after my first year, I can now call this school home :)

See you guys in august!!!

One of the points on the orientation checklist is to pick up your laptop. Anyone know what kind of laptop we'll be getting?

MS1 at FIU here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Pros and cons? How do you like it overall?

Also: what're the best (most bang for your buck) places to live? Do most people live on or off campus?

One of the points on the orientation checklist is to pick up your laptop. Anyone know what kind of laptop we'll be getting?

I was wondering that as well. I remember them mentioning a laptop during my interview day, but October was way too long ago to recall the exact details.

Yep, I'm def 100% going.

Question about paperwork tho:
Anyone know the best way to get all your immunization info and blood work they ask for? Can we just ask any doctor to draw blood and send away for titer testing?

Is anyone else going to be living on campus? I'm just curious, cuz that's what I'd like to do, and when I sent my housing agreement, they said they've had a lot of requests, and might not be able to guarantee housing. How many other people here are planning on staying on campus? I thought most FIU students stayed off campus...

MK- I just went to a GP and they did the titer my first visit. I made sure to have all my shot records when I went for my physical so they could just fill it out and give me whatever I was missing then and there. The PPD test takes at least 1 week and 2 days to complete (as each one must be read 48-72 hours after the injection and there are 2 tests at least a week apart). You should have started your PPDs by now or start immediately. The other thing to be concerned about is the HepB titer, because if it comes back that you are not immune you need to contact the school ASAP because there's no way for you to become immune by August 1st. Remember everything (transcripts, immunizations, etc) are due By July 1st.

Housing- In the past, most students have lived off campus. Every class is different, and you have to remember that our class is double the size of the other classes, so there will naturally be more requests than usual. I have heard that for the price the on campus housing is not too great. I was told there are like 2k worth of hidden fees plus they make you move on the undergrad schedule (not sure if the schedule has been changed). They will not be renovating it because in a couple years it's being torn down to make room for the expanding med school. It is convenient though, so you can't beat that :) just be ready for a mediocre living environment with thin walls (from what I've been told). If you want to live close to campus but don't get a spot in the on campus housing there are 2 apartment complexes quite close, Vista Verde and La Fontaine Blu (bad spelling). I'm personally going to be in Brickell, which is near the Gordon Center. There are a bunch of people looking for roomies on the Facebook page. It's called FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Class of 2015!!!!! In case you haven't joined yet. :)

hi,

I am currently starting my 3rd year undrgrad at FIU..My GPA now, after 2nd year, is 3.62....and science GPA is 3.5...I have volunteered at UM/ JMH in the ER for 2 Years...I take the MCAT this June and also apply....Do you think I have a chance??