Florida Internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gwenevre

Pre-Nursing
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking into equine internships in various states, does anyone have a suggestion for places in Florida?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-DVM. Something I can do if I have a gap year to gain experience in a field I enjoy. I've found places in Texas, Virginia, etc. I have some family in Florida but the only thing google gives me is vet internships and a summer college student experience. Since I've already graduated, those are not an option anymore.

I had a friend-of-a-friend who did a pre-vet "internship" somewhere in Ocala for a few months. I can try to find out where.

EDIT: It was at Peterson & Smith. Search for their "working student program." She really enjoyed it. I think she did a spring semester there.

I had a friend-of-a-friend who did a pre-vet "internship" somewhere in Ocala for a few months. I can try to find out where.

EDIT: It was at Peterson & Smith. Search for their "working student program." She really enjoyed it. I think she did a spring semester there.
That'd be awesome if you could :D

You could see if FRIENDS needs any help - a sanctuary for EIA positive horses. I'm sure they need a lot of help day to day.

Peterson & Smith is where 90% of the colics from my area go. Fantastic hospital. Fantastic doctors. Highly recommend.
Ocala Equine Hospital, since you're in the area. Not sure if they take pre-vets.
If you have any questions about specific practitioners in Florida, send me a PM.

I'll third the Peterson & Smith recommendation. I don't personally have any experience with them, but I know a few people at my school who did internships with them before they started vet school and they said it was excellent. One of the girls did a repro internship, apparently it was a lot of long days, but I think it was paid and had housing, and it was a great learning experience.

Last edited:
I'll definitely e-mail them and see what opportunities they have that would be a fit for me!

A person in the class below me just spent some time at Palm Beach Equine. She did a 1 week externship like thing, so I don't know if they do anything for pre-vets, but it's a possible other option.