Florida Internships?

Started by Gwenevre
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gwenevre

Pre-Nursing
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm looking into equine internships in various states, does anyone have a suggestion for places in Florida?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-DVM. Something I can do if I have a gap year to gain experience in a field I enjoy. I've found places in Texas, Virginia, etc. I have some family in Florida but the only thing google gives me is vet internships and a summer college student experience. Since I've already graduated, those are not an option anymore.
 
I had a friend-of-a-friend who did a pre-vet "internship" somewhere in Ocala for a few months. I can try to find out where.

EDIT: It was at Peterson & Smith. Search for their "working student program." She really enjoyed it. I think she did a spring semester there.
 
I had a friend-of-a-friend who did a pre-vet "internship" somewhere in Ocala for a few months. I can try to find out where.

EDIT: It was at Peterson & Smith. Search for their "working student program." She really enjoyed it. I think she did a spring semester there.
That'd be awesome if you could 😀
 
You could see if FRIENDS needs any help - a sanctuary for EIA positive horses. I'm sure they need a lot of help day to day.
 
Peterson & Smith is where 90% of the colics from my area go. Fantastic hospital. Fantastic doctors. Highly recommend.
Ocala Equine Hospital, since you're in the area. Not sure if they take pre-vets.
If you have any questions about specific practitioners in Florida, send me a PM.
 
I'll third the Peterson & Smith recommendation. I don't personally have any experience with them, but I know a few people at my school who did internships with them before they started vet school and they said it was excellent. One of the girls did a repro internship, apparently it was a lot of long days, but I think it was paid and had housing, and it was a great learning experience.
 
Last edited:
I'll definitely e-mail them and see what opportunities they have that would be a fit for me!
 
A person in the class below me just spent some time at Palm Beach Equine. She did a 1 week externship like thing, so I don't know if they do anything for pre-vets, but it's a possible other option.