Florida license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndoMb2

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a question: i would like to know something about licensing and private practicing in Florida for internationals . I’ve read it’s possibile to get license just completing a 1-yr AEGD/GPR program. That’s true? Because others told me i should get DDS or complete a 2-yr CODA accredited specialization like Endo,Perio,etc.
Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
Check here.
It says "...at least 2 consecutive academic years ...".
I'd call or send them an e-mail to make sure, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I have a question: i would like to know something about licensing and private practicing in Florida for internationals . I’ve read it’s possibile to get license just completing a 1-yr AEGD/GPR program. That’s true? Because others told me i should get DDS or complete a 2-yr CODA accredited specialization like Endo,Perio,etc.
Thank you very much!

I am a Florida resident and this is not true you need to complete either two years advance standing program or two years in CODA-accredited post graduation program such as AEGD or GPR or any other specialty that have a clinical component.
UF AEGD program is specifically designed for international dentists and they prefer Florida residents although they accept out of the state, NOVA has AEGD and Community Smile have one year with the optional second year. UF dental school have 4-years program and they require DAT rather than NBDE.
And you can also apply for hygiene license if you have both NBDE and pass the clinical exam.

The stats that accept one year is Wisconsin and Virginia although I hear that Virginia changed the requirement for two years.

best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
So which are the requirements for licensure? Sorry but it’s not clear to me. Thanks for your kindness

So which are the requirements for licensure? Sorry but it’s not clear to me. Thanks for your kindness
Having 2 years training either in dental school or in a program like AEGD, GPR or specialty like ortho, endo, pediatric any specialty that have a clinical component.

"
(2)(b) or of a dental college or school not approved by the board, the applicant is not entitled to take the examinations required in this section to practice dentistry until she or he satisfies one of the following:
Completes a program of study, as defined by the board by rule, at an accredited American dental school and demonstrates receipt of a D.D.S. or D.M.D. from said school; or
Submits proof of having successfully completed at least 2 consecutive academic years at a full-time supplemental general dentistry program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation. This program must provide didactic and clinical education at the level of a D.D.S. or D.M.D. program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation."

source: Florida Board of Dentistry » Dentist- Licensing, Renewals & Information

For Florida, it is 2 years of AEGD or GPR definitely.

For Virginia, here is the FAQ from the board's website:

"...I am a foreign trained dentist. How can I obtain a dental license in Virginia?

You must be a graduate and a holder of a diploma or a certificate from a dental program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association (CODA) or the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC), which consist of either a pre-doctoral dental education program or at least a 12-month post-doctoral advanced general dentistry program or a post-doctoral dental education program of at least 24 months in any other specialty that includes a clinical component.''

12-month post-doctoral advanced general dentistry program = AEGD or GPR

Post-doctoral dental education program of at least 24 months = Clinical specialties such as Endo, Perio, Ortho, etc.

Thank you very much for your answers!!my dream is to get endodontics certificate and make tons of root canals in Florida!!i love endo, but i know it could be very hard because i am international and i have heard that is very hard to get into an endo program

Having 2 years training either in dental school or in a program like AEGD, GPR or specialty like ortho, endo, pediatric any specialty that have a clinical component.

"
(2)(b) or of a dental college or school not approved by the board, the applicant is not entitled to take the examinations required in this section to practice dentistry until she or he satisfies one of the following:
Completes a program of study, as defined by the board by rule, at an accredited American dental school and demonstrates receipt of a D.D.S. or D.M.D. from said school; or
Submits proof of having successfully completed at least 2 consecutive academic years at a full-time supplemental general dentistry program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation. This program must provide didactic and clinical education at the level of a D.D.S. or D.M.D. program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation."

source: Florida Board of Dentistry » Dentist- Licensing, Renewals & Information
Hello! Are you sure about that. Can I work in FL without dds?. I am studying periodontics, so after I finish can I work there?

Hello! Are you sure about that. Can I work in FL without dds?. I am studying periodontics, so after I finish can I work there?

Yes

Can you tell me which program you are enrolled in and was it through PASS?

Are you sure? It contradicts what you posted before... unless there is a part which you didnt copy and paste?
It sounds like its saying "completing a program of study" which is referring to a 2yr international dental program but NOT a specialty?
I know some states allow a CODA approved specialty with an unrecognized DDS but I dont think Florida is one of them?
I hope you are right and I am wrong though cause I'm in this situation.

Are you sure? It contradicts what you posted before... unless there is a part which you didnt copy and paste?
It sounds like its saying "completing a program of study" which is referring to a 2yr international dental program but NOT a specialty?
I know some states allow a CODA approved specialty with an unrecognized DDS but I dont think Florida is one of them?

I am very sure, as I said I am Florida resident and I called and asked the board and this what they say either completing program that award DDS, DMD or complete two consecutive years of training that include specialty and AEGD and GPR. But I would also suggest if someone is looking to make such a step is to call the board and ask the same question that I asked which is what are the licensing requirements for FTD to practice in FL.

Best of luck

He's wrong specialty does not allow licensing in Florida. This was changed years ago so has been like this for some time. It is always best to contact the licensing board before making any plans but I am 100% sure with confidence that specialty does not allow licensing in Florida.

Reactions: 1 users
NO! you need 2 years studies in GENERAL dentistry (such as GPR< AEGD), NOT a specialty. That's true since 2012

Thank you very much!
Hi! You actually need AEGD 1+1 to get dds license in Fl. I'm not sure about specialization

Hello ,
If I do a 2 year post in OMFS as a Senior & Chief resident and become board eligible / board certified ... will it be counted as 2 years of speciality training for a licensure ( either full / limited / Faculty) in any state in the US?? I might get an opportunity for the same. I am a trained OMFS in my home country and in speciality practice since 10 years
Can someone give me some insight..