Florida MSK ultrasound course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spondy14

Attending
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
DRUSSO, or any others that attended the course, what did you get from it? Any news on the US front? Were there machines there for decent prices? What was the mix of specialties??

Members don't see this ad.

Around 15-20% physiatrists, 15% rhuemies, mostly radiologists and sonographers, and an assortment of random others.

MSK Ultrasound is cool. The course was very good. I think it has the potential to really take the field in exciting directions. It's like extending your physical examination from the inside-out. The combination of physiatric MSK knowledge/physical exam, EMG, and ultrasound makes is a nice set of skills to bring to the table. Add axial injections spine and its even better!

The machines start at $35K and go up from there.

The question I have is: When will there be enough of a critical mass of well-trained physiatrists in the field that MSK US will be part of the core training of physiatrists? Will academic programs lead the way or let private PM&R practitioners wag the dog?

The learning curve is steep and you need to be good enough to understand when something requires more advanced imaging. If you do a diagnostic MSK Ultrasound examination, you will be held to the same standard as a radiologist. That's fair. I think its a modality to definitely keep your eye on...

There Is A High Learning Curve For Msk Us. Two Great Courses To Take Is Levon Nazarian At The Jefferson Ultrasound Institute In Phila. Pa And The Umdnj Course In Camden Nj Run By The Rheums. I
Have Been Doing It For Two Years And Perform All Of My Joint Injections Under Us. Important To Purchase A High Quality Machine For Good Images. I Have A Toshiba Xario, My Second Machine. My First Was A Toshiba Nemio 20. Go To Mskultrasound.com And Speak To Steve Cone. He Will Come Demo A Unit At Your Office And Gives Great Support.

The question I have is: When will there be enough of a critical mass of well-trained physiatrists in the field that MSK US will be part of the core training of physiatrists?

Probably not. After going to a couple of courses, the Physiatrists I've met at these and seen registered were (no surprise) the spine and MSK guys. Fortin, Falco, Lagattuta, those from other PM&R priv prac. fellowships, etc.

For the most part, I just don't see most of those heading up PM&R residencies to be interested in this kind of stuff. Even if they were, there is the issue of finding academic physiatrists who are well trained in ultrasound guided interventions and diagnosis.

The learning curve is steep and you need to be good enough to understand when something requires more advanced imaging. If you do a diagnostic MSK Ultrasound examination, you will be held to the same standard as a radiologist. That's fair. I think its a modality to definitely keep your eye on...

I completely agree.

Guided injections: not overly difficult

Diagnostic reads: very difficult

I think to include these in residency training would require dedicated (EMG like) rotations where residents could do 100-200 studies by graduation.