Around 15-20% physiatrists, 15% rhuemies, mostly radiologists and sonographers, and an assortment of random others.
MSK Ultrasound is cool. The course was very good. I think it has the potential to really take the field in exciting directions. It's like extending your physical examination from the inside-out. The combination of physiatric MSK knowledge/physical exam, EMG, and ultrasound makes is a nice set of skills to bring to the table. Add axial injections spine and its even better!
The machines start at $35K and go up from there.
The question I have is: When will there be enough of a critical mass of well-trained physiatrists in the field that MSK US will be part of the core training of physiatrists? Will academic programs lead the way or let private PM&R practitioners wag the dog?
The learning curve is steep and you need to be good enough to understand when something requires more advanced imaging. If you do a diagnostic MSK Ultrasound examination, you will be held to the same standard as a radiologist. That's fair. I think its a modality to definitely keep your eye on...