Florida OMFS

Started by yankit
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

yankit

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone give some insight to the Florida OMFS programs. I hear Jacksonville and Gainesville are pretty good programs. How are Nova and Jackson Memorial?
 
Met a guy who matched at Jackson last year. It was his 1st choice. He said it is extremely busy and you get to operate a ton. Lots of trauma, path.
 
Can someone give some insight to the Florida OMFS programs. I hear Jacksonville and Gainesville are pretty good programs. How are Nova and Jackson Memorial?

Well I'm from Miami and interviewed at Jackson a few years ago...I was so disappointed that i didn't even rank them. It all depends on what you want from a program. Jackson does tons of trauma and path...actually...that's all they do. No implants (or very few)....no TMJ...you only do 1 rotation in virginia or somewhere to get your orthognathic experience. It seemed like all they did was path (because of Marx) and trauma. So I didn't feel it was a well-rounded program. They only interviewed like 12 people the year i applied...so i was real excited about the program, but was very disappointed. The only plus was that you could live in Miami....but i felt there were better programs out there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone give some insight to the Florida OMFS programs. I hear Jacksonville and Gainesville are pretty good programs. How are Nova and Jackson Memorial?

Anyone have any info about Nova? Ive heard from a few people that they have recently eliminated resident stipends from all of their programs including OS. I find that kind of hard to believe. Can anyone verify that for me? I hope its not the case as I have already booked my flight down there for the interview😱
 
Well I'm from Miami and interviewed at Jackson a few years ago...I was so disappointed that i didn't even rank them. It all depends on what you want from a program. Jackson does tons of trauma and path...actually...that's all they do. No implants (or very few)....no TMJ...you only do 1 rotation in virginia or somewhere to get your orthognathic experience. It seemed like all they did was path (because of Marx) and trauma. So I didn't feel it was a well-rounded program. They only interviewed like 12 people the year i applied...so i was real excited about the program, but was very disappointed. The only plus was that you could live in Miami....but i felt there were better programs out there.

Did you do an externship there? I searched the website, but could not find an email address for more info?
 
Did you do an externship there? I searched the website, but could not find an email address for more info?

No...when i was in dental school they weren't taking externs....don't know if they are now...something happened with an extern years ago...so I don't know...
 
They didn't take externs either when I was in school. I tried, and even had a friend of mine who was president of the AAOMS at the time (and former resident at Miami) call to see if I could get a clinical extership there.