Illinois already had laypeople (technically trained dispensers working underneath an official prescriber...there was paperwork, involved, but the person requesting the naloxone never had to actually see the prescriber) dispensing naloxone before pharmacies started to, like since 2009 or so.....I don't think there have been any requests at all in the retail pharmacy I work in (I don't think we even carry it, we'd have to special order it) but I suspect most people who need the naloxone (and by this, I mean family members of addicts are the ones who are getting the naloxone) have already gotten it. And I think several other states have had laypeople dispensing it also for years, not just Illinois, so this may also explain why pharmacists in other states aren't seeing any requests for Naloxone.
Naloxone use by laypersons has indeed been proven to save lives, I'm not sure why people would resist dispensing naloxone, other than some people hate drug addicts and think they should all die, which is really sad that anyone thinks that.
Then again, I can't understand why anyone would resist dispensing syringes, but then IL specifically changed syringes from RX to OTC with the sole intention of drug users having easy access to them, in order to prevent communicable diseases.