Florida postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Serenitysweety

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

It's been a while since I've come on here, and as a non trad student with a family, more things have come up to deter my medschool path(ie, new baby☺️). So I've taken time to hash things out but I still need plenty of advice.

I'm staying in Florida to pursue a postbac in order to do my prereqs. I have a 3.44 gpa from UF and cannot return there due to financial constraints. Basically, I'd have to pay with private loans or out of pocket. Anyhow, I'm pretty much convinced I will be enrolling at UCF as a second degree seeking student. However, there are always complications.

My husband will be deploying oversees next year with the military. With him leaving, I feel like I will need the support of family even more than ever, who currently, live in the next town over. If I move to Orlando, I will be in a brand new town, just adjusting to everything, and family will be hours away. However, as I said, UF isn't really an option.

So... Could I do my postbac at the local community college in Gainesville, which hey, if it means anything at all, just got recognized as the "best cc" in the country. And try my luck with medschool, attempting an smp if my first cycle of applications are unsuccessful? Or just suck it up and attend UCF for better odds(potentially) from the start? Is either option more of a money saver? Gives me a better chance to med school assuming I do phenomenally?

Anything I'm missing, please fill me in. Any advice, please let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Tough position to be in.

Don't get caught up with the whole "best C/C" thing; Santa Fe is pretty run-of-the-mill. I think Goro has said a few times that nontrads are cut some slack regarding C/C courses, so that shouldn't be an issue. The bigger thing would be if you need to tack on some research, and also how your E.C.'s look; Gainesville is small enough as it is, without the hordes of undergrads volunteering in labs or at hospitals. Saving money on costs is a good thing, and the intangible of nearby family also helps.

If you can pull it off, I'd say stay at Santa Fe and complete the pre-reqs there. Lobby hard with any teachers you'll have for research connections (again, if you need them); perhaps consider a hospital job to open up other avenues. I don't see how UCF would give you a demonstrable edge without costing you significantly more in other areas.

Thanks for the input! You are right in that the opportunities are so saturated with UF undergrads. Honestly, I feel a little out of my league. As it is, having children is not exactly looked on as favorable, and I feel disadvantaged compared to students with more open availability. But still, the area does offer a lot in way of opportunity if I can get my foot in the door. I suppose it's the same old debate of cc vs. university. I'm just concerned over my low gpa combined with my taking the first two years of undergrad at a cc, seeming as though I've never been through "rigorous" coursework. It just so happens that I was non traditional when I started my college career and have remained so. :rolleyes: In another way, I feel that if I leave my comfort zone, and attend a new school(because I actually transferred from Santa Fe to UF) I can better show my personal growth from a not so ideal past. Hmm...