Florida programs (rankings)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack Smith 22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
---

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Reputation-wise probably Miami>UF>>USF. A lot depends on what you want to do though. If you are a stroke/intervention/NNICU type then Miami is an easy choice. If you are thinking about movement or dementia then UF has 2 of the best in the world in those specialties.

I interviewed at these programs recently, from my experience:

1 University of Miami- I believe it is the premier program of florida and one of the powerhouses of the southeast (along with Duke, UVA, Emory). The chair Dr. Sacco is the president-elect of the AAN, Walter Bradley was the prior chair and still teaches. Very large resident class (11 residents per class), only second to MGH in the states. They are the referral center for all of latin america and hence have a rich resource of pathology. Beautiful city of Miami with art deco sunshine, but watch for the Zika.

2 University of Florida- a strong program, just appointed a new Chair in Dr. Okun who is a young accomplished and motivated movement disorder physician. They just recently built a center dedicated for neuroscience and neurology. Movement, dementia, sports neurology are strengths. A mid-sized program, in a smallish college town.

3 USF Tampa- I remember it being a solid program where residents were happy

But they are all very competitive to match into based on the sunny location alone.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with everything above. One thing to consider though is that Miami does not guarantee you a preliminary spot for the majority of their positions. Are you confident you will match at a preliminary spot elsewhere if you rank Miami #1? If not, you might not be willing to risk putting Miami as your #1. If you're not confident you have a preliminary elsewhere and you match at Miami, you could end up having to SOAP for a preliminary year, and could end up somewhere like Alaska.

Agree with everything above. One thing to consider though is that Miami does not guarantee you a preliminary spot for the majority of their positions. Are you confident you will match at a preliminary spot elsewhere if you rank Miami #1? If not, you might not be willing to risk putting Miami as your #1. If you're not confident you have a preliminary elsewhere and you match at Miami, you could end up having to SOAP for a preliminary year, and could end up somewhere like Alaska.

Not true.

University of Miami has 8 Categorical positions (guaranteed prelim positions) and 3 advanced positions. This means that the majority of their positions guarantee a prelim position. Also, if this is an issue for you, you can just rank the categorical positions and not rank the advanced. This guarantees a prelim if you match with Miami.

You can even do what I did with a lot of programs last year, rank the categoricals high and the advanced positions lower, or even vice versa (because sometimes you want to spend a year elsewhere).

Not true.

University of Miami has 8 Categorical positions (guaranteed prelim positions) and 3 advanced positions. This means that the majority of their positions guarantee a prelim position. Also, if this is an issue for you, you can just rank the categorical positions and not rank the advanced. This guarantees a prelim if you match with Miami.

You can even do what I did with a lot of programs last year, rank the categoricals high and the advanced positions lower, or even vice versa (because sometimes you want to spend a year elsewhere).

You're right. Had the numbers backwards. Apologies!

I interviewed at these programs recently, from my experience:

1 University of Miami- I believe it is the premier program of florida and one of the powerhouses of the southeast (along with Duke, UVA, Emory). The chair Dr. Sacco is the president-elect of the AAN, Walter Bradley was the prior chair and still teaches. Very large resident class (11 residents per class), only second to MGH in the states. They are the referral center for all of latin america and hence have a rich resource of pathology. Beautiful city of Miami with art deco sunshine, but watch for the Zika.

2 University of Florida- a strong program, just appointed a new Chair in Dr. Okun who is a young accomplished and motivated movement disorder physician. They just recently built a center dedicated for neuroscience and neurology. Movement, dementia, sports neurology are strengths. A mid-sized program, in a smallish college town.

3 USF Tampa- I remember it being a solid program where residents were happy

But they are all very competitive to match into based on the sunny location alone.

Last edited: