Florida Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gymone1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I saw some debate searching previous posts but was wondering if anyone had any new information to add on Univ. Miami and Univ. of Florida.

If you could pick only 1 to interview at...which would you do and why?

Members don't see this ad.

can't tell you too much more about programs but miami and gainesville are total opposites. miami is beaches, parties, restaurants, nightclubs and warm weather 365 days a year. gainesville is a college town.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Miami, it's the greatest program on earth.

If you enjoy violating the 80 hour work week and working in the worst hospital for ancillary services on earth, Jackson Memorial! Better know how to empty bed pans and deliver meals to patients on time. :laugh::laugh:

UF is a great program and I would recommend it to anyone looking to do residency in FL. The faculty are amazing and well respected. While in the OR, you only work one weekend day a month the rest of the weekends are off. Gainesville might not be Miami but how much can you afford in Miami on a residents salary unless you are still living off of mom and dad.

Don't know how desperate you are to stay in florida...
I only have info on the gainesville program but I would offer you a word of caution. This is a program where keeping the 80 hour work week can become quite a challenge. If you really must stay in florida then I guess you'll just have to suck it up.
Good luck!!!

The work week varies but your hours are 65-70 a week. It is not a 40-50 hour work week like some people search for but I would question a program that could teach well with such low hours. There are months with lower hours but remember you have weekends off, no call unless on OB or critical care. Plus it is one of the top programs in the US.