Florida psych residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MainerInNY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying to psychiatry residencies in Florida, particularly Miami as my boyfriend is from there and we are couples matching. I'm in NYC now and no one here seems to know much about programs outside of the five boroughs so I'm at a loss. Which ones are good? Which should I avoid?

I'm worried about competitiveness as I am the worlds most average medical student (Step 1: 220, High Pass most clinical rotations, Step 2 is pending). I have lots of research experience but its all in Genetics or RadOnc, with nothing in Psych. Anyone know if these programs are particularly impossible to get into?

Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm worried about competitiveness as I am the worlds most average medical student (Step 1: 220, High Pass most clinical rotations, Step 2 is pending). I have lots of research experience but its all in Genetics or RadOnc, with nothing in Psych. Anyone know if these programs are particularly impossible to get into?

Just a side note-- just because your research is not psych-specific does not mean it will not be valued by programs. For example, you may have learned specific techniques that can be applied to psych research. Or, your research background may demonstrate a certain degree of inquisitiveness or potential for leadership in generating knowledge in a different field.

I don't know anything about the Florida programs. All I'm saying is, don't sell yourself short.

Best,
-AT.

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying to psychiatry residencies in Florida, particularly Miami as my boyfriend is from there and we are couples matching. I'm in NYC now and no one here seems to know much about programs outside of the five boroughs so I'm at a loss. Which ones are good? Which should I avoid?

Thanks for the help!!
I'm from Miami and know the program well. I actually did a few electives there. After rotating through the program I decided to turn down the interview. The program literally has no didactics. Your on call q3 most months and its BUSY (you better know spanish and creole- that is the entire patient population at Jackson Memorial). It is a service run program(translation- they squeeze every ounce of cheap labor out of you). I would really stay away from this program. The only reason that the program can be somewhat competitive is the location (which I think is not that great). Bottom line-if you want to work like a slave, score low on all your prite exams because you have no time to study, and get no lectures(even though they say they have a didactic day each week that never happens) this is the program for you.
Sorry:(

USF and UF are much better. FYI I dont go to UF. I just love the Gators.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely know Spanish, JM's population is diverse in a sense that many dialects are spoken. I can't speak specifically to the -iatry rotations, but I've heard a general consensus that you will be very busy and because of the location and expectations.

As an aside, living in S. FL can be great, but the JM area isn't that great, and to live in a decent area is pretty expensive. Considering the amount of time you'll spend there, travel times matter....so make sure to factor that in, as traffic can be a pain.

Thanks for the info! I do speak Spanish so I don't think that'll be an issue, but I am worried about a malignant program.

Does anyone know anything about the other two Florida programs?