Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GasPundit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with any comments about the University of Florida? Comparison with UVa?

Members don't see this ad.

GasPundit said:
Anyone with any comments about the University of Florida? Comparison with UVa?

UF seemed like a solid program. The PD was fantastic. However, he freely admitted his difficulty in getting residents out of their rooms at the end of the day.

UVa is in a MUCH better location and has a system (no matter how complicated) of making your day end at a reasonable time).

I'd put UVa way above UF... and in fact, I will not be ranking of UF and will have UVa relatively high on my list.

Just one naive applicant's opinion....

Thanks for your comments on the other NC thread. This has been a great discussion, and I hope we've all taken away some unique perspectives on these programs.

I REALLY like both of these programs. I also don't agree with Charlottesville being so much better than Gainesville. Gainesville is a fair bit larger, with a better housing market and seemd a bit cheaper all around (no state income tax!). Granted, it's summers probably stink, but then again Charlottesville wasn't the epitome of beauty in the winter either (unless you love brown and grey).

Both programs seemed to offer the best mix of clinical caseload and didactics, and to do so in a friendly environment. UF's residents seem to work harder, but scuttlebutt and scutwork say UVa's caseload could be climbing as well. UF seemed to have a stronger ICU presence, as well as computerized charting in some rooms. UVa had BEAUTIFUL, newly renovated OR's, and a more multidisciplinary ICU experience. I've heard a lot of wonderful things about UF from other programs on the trail, and many wonderful things about UVa on this forum and through other sources.

This comes down to splitting 2 beautiful hairs, each optimized for teaching. I don't think it's possible to go wrong.