Flowable vs. Z100 Composite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth_sleuth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what would be the proper applciations for flowable composite vs. regular Z100 composite? Can you use flowable in areas of minimal occlusal force, such as the facials of anterior and posterior teeth? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

tooth_sleuth said:
Just wondering what would be the proper applciations for flowable composite vs. regular Z100 composite? Can you use flowable in areas of minimal occlusal force, such as the facials of anterior and posterior teeth? :rolleyes:

My dentist used flowable to replace a temp filling on a RCT i had on tooth #9. So my answer would be yes (I Hope :eek: ) :D

I like using flowable resins in the following manner:

After matrixing a Class-II cavity prep, I flow in some flowable to seal up where the matrix band meets up with tooth structure, cure it, then fill up the rest of the cavity with regular-consistency resin (I use Tetric Ceram). This ensures that I won't leave voids in the interproximal parts of the restoration.

The clinical instructors where I went to school also prefer using something like Heliomolar flow for small Class-I cavities.

There are many other applications for flowable resins, but those are the two instances where I use them the most.

HTH!

Members don't see this ad :)
I love using flowables :) ..They are versatile & easy to use..at the same time it has it's own pros & cons of which we should be aware of :D

tooth_sleuth said:
Can you use flowable in areas of minimal occlusal force, such as the facials of anterior and posterior teeth? :rolleyes:

Sure! goahead..