Fluctuating Practice Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone comment on the validity of scaled scores on the AAMC and Kaplan full lengths? My percent correct has steadily risen on each test, but the scaled scores are all over the place. It's freaking me out! Should I just ignore them???

Members don't see this ad.

I took the aamcs to heart but I didnt bother with the kaplans, especially once they switched to cbt (aka curves all screwed up and had to be redone).

Can someone comment on the validity of scaled scores on the AAMC and Kaplan full lengths? My percent correct has steadily risen on each test, but the scaled scores are all over the place. It's freaking me out! Should I just ignore them???

In the case of someone who has studied thoroughly the testable topics in entirety, then IMO the AAMC coverted scores are very consistent among their practice tests. You should expect to see slight deviation +/- 1 across each section though.

Each practice tests can only cover a handful of topics, so the score variation might reflect your varied degree of preparedness among all the testable topics.

Thanks...I was just wondering b/c my raw score has been increasing. I thought maybe the score correlations are off. Maybe I'll just focus on reviewing material and not worrying about practice scores.

In the case of someone who has studied thoroughly the testable topics in entirety, then IMO the AAMC coverted scores are very consistent among their practice tests. You should expect to see slight deviation +/- 1 across each section though.

Each practice tests can only cover a handful of topics, so the score variation might reflect your varied degree of preparedness among all the testable topics.

I agree about this. Every time I take an AAMC practice test, I get almost exactly the same scores (my raw scores fluctuate more than my scaled scores) interestingly, I seem to usually guess correctly, and miss questions that I should have gotten. who knows