1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Fluctuating Practice Scores

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by aimster, Apr 9, 2007.

1. aimster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can someone comment on the validity of scaled scores on the AAMC and Kaplan full lengths? My percent correct has steadily risen on each test, but the scaled scores are all over the place. It's freaking me out! Should I just ignore them???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sesil

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I took the aamcs to heart but I didnt bother with the kaplans, especially once they switched to cbt (aka curves all screwed up and had to be redone).

4. Swatch_VR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In the case of someone who has studied thoroughly the testable topics in entirety, then IMO the AAMC coverted scores are very consistent among their practice tests. You should expect to see slight deviation +/- 1 across each section though.

Each practice tests can only cover a handful of topics, so the score variation might reflect your varied degree of preparedness among all the testable topics.

5. aimster

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks...I was just wondering b/c my raw score has been increasing. I thought maybe the score correlations are off. Maybe I'll just focus on reviewing material and not worrying about practice scores.

6. CATallergy

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I agree about this. Every time I take an AAMC practice test, I get almost exactly the same scores (my raw scores fluctuate more than my scaled scores) interestingly, I seem to usually guess correctly, and miss questions that I should have gotten. who knows