Fluid Homeostasis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am having some difficulty in the following topics...Osmotic pressure, hydrostatic pressure, blood pressure, and just fluid homeostasis all together. Seems to be my weakest section in Biology. For those of you who have a solid grasp on this stuff can you help explain it or tell me the best place where you learned about this material. For now all i have heard is to think about blood pressure in terms analogous to V=IR of ohm's law.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am having some difficulty in the following topics...Osmotic pressure, hydrostatic pressure, blood pressure, and just fluid homeostasis all together. Seems to be my weakest section in Biology. For those of you who have a solid grasp on this stuff can you help explain it or tell me the best place where you learned about this material. For now all i have heard is to think about blood pressure in terms analogous to V=IR of ohm's law.

Thanks in advance.

V=IR isn't going to help you with understanding oncotic/hydrostatic pressure.

Hydrostatic pressure is what we think of as blood pressure. It is the pressure that the blood exerts on the walls of the vessels as it flows through the body.

Osmotic/Oncotic pressure is created by solute concentration gradients. Higher oncotic pressure = higher solute concentration = water flows in that direction.

V=IR isn't going to help you with understanding oncotic/hydrostatic pressure.

Hydrostatic pressure is what we think of as blood pressure. It is the pressure that the blood exerts on the walls of the vessels as it flows through the body.

Osmotic/Oncotic pressure is created by solute concentration gradients. Higher oncotic pressure = higher solute concentration = water flows in that direction.

How do you exactly alter the hydrostatic blood pressure then?

How do you exactly alter the hydrostatic blood pressure then?

Pump harder/softer, vasoconstrict, vasodilate, occlude the vessel, increase/decrease blood volume.

Think about the relationship between pressure and volume.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget oncotic pressure: mannitol can be used as an osmotic diuretic to both reduce increased intracranial pressure AND cause diuresis.

do you guys know of a good place I can read about this? The kaplan books do not really explain it well