FM + 2nd Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Step1EKG

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m curious if anyone has successfully completed an FM residency then went onto a second residency. I’m more curious about the process so it can be any field — but I’m realizing I should have gone into EM instead. Not looking to do an EM fellowship since it greatly limited where I can practice. I'd like to stay in a major city in a competitive part of the country.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I’m curious if anyone has successfully completed an FM residency then went onto a second residency. I’m more curious about the process so it can be any field — but I’m realizing I should have gone into EM instead. Not looking to do an EM fellowship since it greatly limited where I can practice. I'd like to stay in a major city in a competitive part of the country.

Thanks!

My current preceptor finished her FM residency then after a few year did an OBGYN residency and solely practices OB. I'm sure it's possible with a good resume, LORs and sales pitch on why you want to do EM and what your FM background can bring to the program. These days though I'd lean slightly pessimistic and say it's less likely than more.

My current preceptor finished her FM residency then after a few year did an OBGYN residency and solely practices OB. I'm sure it's possible with a good resume, LORs and sales pitch on why you want to do EM and what your FM background can bring to the program. These days though I'd lean slightly pessimistic and say it's less likely than more.
For sure, I know it'll be a challenge. With 5 elective months during PGY3, hoping to get enough EM experience in to supplement my application if I go through with it. Worst case scenario, I don't match and go into urgent care work or direct primary care.

For sure, I know it'll be a challenge. With 5 elective months during PGY3, hoping to get enough EM experience in to supplement my application if I go through with it. Worst case scenario, I don't match and go into urgent care work or direct primary care.
Or you can do an EM fellowship...

Thanks!

Where are you located and where do you plan on living?

How would you get funding to do a second residency?

I had an IM faculty who was a IM faculty for >15 yrs do an EM residency where she worked. She was my cointern. It can be done.

Reactions: 1 user