FM Residency - take COMLEX only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ankiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current second year DO student pretty much set on FM. Is it safe to just take COMLEX level one and forego USMLE Step 1? Not looking for something crazy competitive like California or NYC programs. Likely East coast mid-sized to small cities and community programs are just fine with me too.

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer : i am pre-med. But have you not heard of the merger?

I would think Comlex only is fine. Unless things have changed significantly in the last couple years or are different on the East Coast. Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think Comlex only is fine. Unless things have changed significantly in the last couple years or are different on the East Coast. Good luck :)
But there is a merger coming soon, meaning that both MD and DO student are going to be competing for the same residencies.

If you are dead set on family then comlex is fine, regardless of the merger.

I was comlex only and got interviewed at many acgme only programs (on the east coast at university programs as well). In general, since family med is DO friendly they are used to seeing comlex scores. (I am also involved in our interview process and ranking residents).

Sure, not taking it will cause you to miss out on some programs, but you will still have no difficulty in matching family med with comlex only.

Compex is fine except you said “pretty much” set on FM. If you aren’t sure, take step

Reactions: 1 users
But there is a merger coming soon, meaning that both MD and DO student are going to be competing for the same residencies.

When we (DOs) apply to ACGME residencies, we are already competing for the same residencies, often with only a COMLEX now. I don't know what difference the merger would make in that regard.

When we (DOs) apply to ACGME residencies, we are already competing for the same residencies, often with only a COMLEX now. I don't know what difference the merger would make in that regard.
They are a premed and while I think they legitimately mean well they just don’t know what they are talkong about here

Reactions: 3 users
Why is a premed surfing the specialty threads. Talk about cart before the horse.

Why is a premed surfing the specialty threads. Talk about cart before the horse.
Or talking about wanted to know about what I will getting into. It' also called being smart.

Or talking about wanted to know about what I will getting into. It' also called being smart.

Lol chances that you end up in your current interests are very low. Judging by your username I’ll quit feeding the troll

Reactions: 1 users
Lol chances that you end up in your current interests are very low. Judging by your username I’ll quit feeding the troll
Well, speak for yourself. Some of us have goals and are comitted to those goals.

PS: Gosh, why is everyone here so negative. I have never such a negative bunch of people before. Is FM really this way? Are you guys not happy with your lives or what?

I did COMLEX only, and killed it.

My biggest problem this interview season is going to be how to rank my favorite FM programs, as they have all made it pretty clear that I'm going to get the one that I rank first.

You are so much more than a board score, and that is especially true in Family Med. Get involved. Go to FM conferences. (Shout out FMEC!) Reach out to program directors of your favorite programs. Do audition rotations at your favorite sites. Find out which programs are doing things that interest you most, or that are situated in communities you want to serve, or whatever. Make connections at those residencies that you want and you will have no trouble finding your spot and having them want you just as much as you want them.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, speak for yourself. Some of us have goals and are comitted to those goals.

PS: Gosh, why is everyone here so negative. I have never such a negative bunch of people before. Is FM really this way? Are you guys not happy with your lives or what?

Okay. Reread your posts in a few years. This is the second or third thread I’ve seen you irritate people. It’s time for introspection. Your opinions are very pre-med and concrete. I’m not saying not to express your ideas. Just go to proper threads.

Do not feed the Trollest.....
I agree but sometimes its worth poking the bear so if there are real pre-meds/medstudents that come across the thread they don't take it as truth.

I did COMLEX only, and killed it.

My biggest problem this interview season is going to be how to rank my favorite FM programs, as they have all made it pretty clear that I'm going to get the one that I rank first.

You are so much more than a board score, and that is especially true in Family Med. Get involved. Go to FM conferences. (Shout out FMEC!) Reach out to program directors of your favorite programs. Do audition rotations at your favorite sites. Find out which programs are doing things that interest you most, or that are situated in communities you want to serve, or whatever. Make connections at those residencies that you want and you will have no trouble finding your spot and having them want you just as much as you want them.

Congratulations @Promethean! So good to hear things are going so well for you!

Current second year DO student pretty much set on FM. Is it safe to just take COMLEX level one and forego USMLE Step 1? Not looking for something crazy competitive like California or NYC programs. Likely East coast mid-sized to small cities and community programs are just fine with me too.

thoughts?
There are plenty of ACGME FM programs that are happy with COMLEX.

There are plenty of ACGME FM programs that are happy with COMLEX.
Based on your experience, do you see that changing in 4 or 5 years? Or are those residencies there to stay?

Based on your experience, do you see that changing in 4 or 5 years? Or are those residencies there to stay?

FM is very DO friendly and the ones that have been taking comlex are comfortable with it. There is no reason to believe They will all start to require the USMLE just because of the merger if they were taking comlex only before. Where the merger affects students’ need to take the USMLE is if the acgme specialty already wanted the USMLE. The AOA residencies that convert may start to require the USMLE so that they can compare apples to apples

TLDR; FM programs are already used to comparing apples to oranges

Obviously excluded are the acgme FM programs that required USMLE prior to the merger

I think that COMLEX is fine if you are set on FM... FM is not going to become suddenly competitive because of the merger...

If PD's don't accept COMLEX only for FM, then the COMLEX REALLYY needs to be obsolete as it would serve almost no purpose at that point.

Bump....so ended up taking step 1 and made decent; low 230s.

Thoughts on even bothering with step 2 CK for Acgme FM? Do they even care? Hoping to just take COMLEX level 2 this time around.