FM to Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I m currently a 2nd year FM resident. I really do enjoy the field of FM but the more procedure clinics I do and the more I work with the dermatologists associated with our program the more and more I m really starting to like Derm... In med school I never really even considered derm because 1) I didn't have sky high step scores or publications (scores in the 220s) 2) never really saw myself doing it for some reason....

Any way have you guys heard of people completing a field like FM or let's say Peds where you do learn and practice a fair amount of derm going back and doing a residency in derm? Does having completed an FM residency help if one were interested in derm?

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, there were some 'dermatology fellowships' for family medicine trained individuals. This would allow you to have additional dermatology training any may provide you with some skills / knowledge to help with treatment of some of your patients. There are some pathways for peds and path people to get into dermatology, but family I haven't heard too much from.

What I would do if I were you, spend more time with the derm department at your school and learn as much as you can. Help with local skin screenings (or help start one if there isn't one). If they like you and you put in work, ask them about your chances of doing dermatology.

If I remember correctly, there were some 'dermatology fellowships' for family medicine trained individuals. This would allow you to have additional dermatology training any may provide you with some skills / knowledge to help with treatment of some of your patients. There are some pathways for peds and path people to get into dermatology, but family I haven't heard too much from.

What I would do if I were you, spend more time with the derm department at your school and learn as much as you can. Help with local skin screenings (or help start one if there isn't one). If they like you and you put in work, ask them about your chances of doing dermatology.

I m at an unopposed family med residency... Its an excellent program... But the thing it really lacks is research or a very large derm department.. Since there is no derm residency here I couldn't really do too much with actual residents or fellows.

As for derm fellowships after FM.... Correct me if I m wrong but I believe there is only one in the entire country??

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the path into derm after Peds?

The path is you do a Peds residency then you apply to derm.

It's not an official path of course.

I know a couple people who have done it.

A prior residency does not up your chances of getting into derm. In fact, you have to make sure you find a program who can support you from the money side since your AGME salary will be 'spent' already on your first residency.

The path is you do a Peds residency then you apply to derm.

It's not an official path of course.

I know a couple people who have done it.

A prior residency does not up your chances of getting into derm. In fact, you have to make sure you find a program who can support you from the money side since your AGME salary will be 'spent' already on your first residency.

How is that different than fm to Peds? The derm attending that works with our program actually did an IM residency first then went into derm... I ve heard of anecdotal stories of people doing FM/IM/PEDs then later in their careers going back todo another residency like derm..

Ya but my question was basically have you guys known people who did this? Did doing fm/Im/Peds help them while applying? Is it similar to doing a research fellowship or someother derm clinical experience or volunteering..? How much of a factor did it play in their app?

Isn't the ACGME funding mostly a non-issue from what I understand from others who have transferred or done a second residency?

Isn't the ACGME funding mostly a non-issue from what I understand from others who have transferred or done a second residency?

You will want to speak with your GME department. It often is a very large issue and many programs will NOT accept residents who have transferred or have completed a prior residency because of these funding issues.

In terms of making the move, your scores and funding status will likely make it an uphill climb. I've known IM and peds residents who have made the jump into derm but it usually requires a research fellowship AND someone influential within the department to go to bat for you come application time.

If you can't see yourself doing anything else than derm, it is worth exploring those options.

If you are already 2 years through with your residency, it may be worth weighing whether to prolong your training with no guarantee of matching into derm.

I think you have an answer. People have done it- it's possible - but your prior residency will likely not help (possibly hurt due to funding issues).

In other words depending on your personal position its between a long shot and zero chance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys,

I m currently a 2nd year FM resident. I really do enjoy the field of FM but the more procedure clinics I do and the more I work with the dermatologists associated with our program the more and more I m really starting to like Derm... In med school I never really even considered derm because 1) I didn't have sky high step scores or publications (scores in the 220s) 2) never really saw myself doing it for some reason....

Any way have you guys heard of people completing a field like FM or let's say Peds where you do learn and practice a fair amount of derm going back and doing a residency in derm? Does having completed an FM residency help if one were interested in derm?

Hi, are you still interested in pursuing dermatology options? I have some experience with this. It depends on your location, motivation, flexibility, but it is do-able. Ultimately what you need is experience.

Hi, are you still interested in pursuing dermatology options? I have some experience with this. It depends on your location, motivation, flexibility, but it is do-able. Ultimately what you need is experience.

Hi there! I'm an FM resident who is still considering something like a derm fellowship so I was wondering if you had any more info on this? Thank you!

No such thing as a derm fellowship if you haven’t completed a derm residency (one exception may be really desperate Peds derm program). If you want to be a dermatologist, do the hard work to match into a residency and then do a fellowship thereafter if you wish.

Reactions: 6 users
No such thing as a derm fellowship if you haven’t completed a derm residency (one exception may be really desperate Peds derm program). If you want to be a dermatologist, do the hard work to match into a residency and then do a fellowship thereafter if you wish.

Well...some family medicine docs run "derm fellowships", but I would be wary of completing any of these. You really need a full 3 year residency with inpatient training to become a competent dermatologist. These family docs who advertise themselves as "rash" experts, usually just end up doing more harm than good.

Reactions: 3 users
Well...some family medicine docs run "derm fellowships", but I would be wary of completing any of these. You really need a full 3 year residency with inpatient training to become a competent dermatologist. These family docs who advertise themselves as "rash" experts, usually just end up doing more harm than good.

That was entirely @sore eye asses point. Regardless of whether FM docs advertise these farces, they are not actual meaningful fellowships and are no substitute to actual derm training.

Reactions: 3 users

On their own - Binghamton News
Nah I will just become an NP and do apprenticeship residency with my Mom (MD dermatologist). An MD is too restrictive with all this hard work talk

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.

Get out there and enjoy yourself. You deserve it.

Reactions: 1 user