FM wanting to switch to peds.. advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ltcmdrdata

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
New here but was hoping for some advice. I'm a first year (soon to be second year) FM resident. I have found through my FM months that I love pediatrics and wish to switch.

However, by the end of next year I will have used up 2 years of GME funding. I am strongly considering reapplying through the match but obviously am concerned that programs will consider me a less attractive candidate because of my GME funding issue.

For those with knowledge, would most programs consider the GME (2 yrs used up) funding to be a big issue? Would I have a decent chance of matching if I went through the match?

To all who can give me advice, thank you very much.
 
I switched from surgery to peds after 1 year. I had a bit of an unusual situation (not that changing from surgery to peds is common to begin with), but I went through the match. GME funding wasn't an issue for me as I was only in the other residency for 1 year.

Is there a pediatric residency at your current location? That's probably your best place to match and your best place to ask these questions. If you've done your rotations through a pediatrics program and have a good reputation with that program, they may be more interested in finding funding for you.

Good luck!