FM wanting to switch to peds.. advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ltcmdrdata

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New here but was hoping for some advice. I'm a first year (soon to be second year) FM resident. I have found through my FM months that I love pediatrics and wish to switch.

However, by the end of next year I will have used up 2 years of GME funding. I am strongly considering reapplying through the match but obviously am concerned that programs will consider me a less attractive candidate because of my GME funding issue.

For those with knowledge, would most programs consider the GME (2 yrs used up) funding to be a big issue? Would I have a decent chance of matching if I went through the match?

To all who can give me advice, thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I switched from surgery to peds after 1 year. I had a bit of an unusual situation (not that changing from surgery to peds is common to begin with), but I went through the match. GME funding wasn't an issue for me as I was only in the other residency for 1 year.

Is there a pediatric residency at your current location? That's probably your best place to match and your best place to ask these questions. If you've done your rotations through a pediatrics program and have a good reputation with that program, they may be more interested in finding funding for you.

Good luck!