I'm even toying whether to try and apply EM after I finish FM so I could really work anywhere. If I could go back knowing what I know now I probably would have applied the dual EM/IM or EM/FM programs.
I just feel the best when I can try and be a generalist. Even when I was in surgery I was going to apply critical care so I could have that skillset in addition to operating.
Is it worth trying to
A.) Go for the 1 year non-accred EM fellowship.
This would allow me to do inpatient, outpatient, urgent care and more marketable to some hospitals for EM but may not make a huge difference and lose out on a year of attending
B.) Apply to EM residency after FM. Losing out on 2-3 years of attending level salary and going back for ANOTHER residency as a PGY-1 or PGY-2
Could again do inpatient, outpatient, urgent care, emergency rooms without barriers and may even be able to cover some ICU
C. Finish FM and continue with shadowing in EM, courses, ATLS, seminars etc and my skills will still grow
Do inpatient, outpatient, urgent care and hospitals for EM that will hire