fmCASES - medU Final Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blagoblag

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school takes the fmCASES exam rather than the family medicine shelf, and I was wondering if anybody could share their prep and how they did.

Any tips on how to do well? I'm wondering if reading through all the fmCASES summaries is good enough to do well, or if there are specific things we need to know hidden within the online modules.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the exam closely parallels the cases. easier than a shelf exam, but more poorly written.

Members don't see this ad :)
i heard from one person at my school that the questions are verbatim from the case summaries, but i'm not sure how accurate that was because she didn't do too well..

can anyone who did well on this exam comment on how sufficient the case summaries are for the exam?
Hey birthday cake,
I got my score back recently and got well over 90%. The case summaries definitely cover the material you need to know. If you're out of study time, definitely look over the summaries- there are a few things per case that you might not have learned through other, non-fmCases sources, so the summaries will really help you out.

This exam was so ghetto

Hey birthday cake,
I got my score back recently and got well over 90%. The case summaries definitely cover the material you need to know. If you're out of study time, definitely look over the summaries- there are a few things per case that you might not have learned through other, non-fmCases sources, so the summaries will really help you out.

Congrats! That's awesome. I unfortunately found I failed it last week and need to retake it early next week. I went over the case summaries and I thought I knew everything pretty well. I thought the exam went fine but I missed the pass cutoff by 2 points. I am not sure how I should restudy for this exam.

Did you do anything specifically when reviewing the case summaries? I felt like there was a lot of detail in the case summaries (like how much BP reduces if you reduce dietary sodium vs. DASH eating vs. physical activity). Do I need to know that level of detail from each cases?

Congrats! That's awesome. I unfortunately found I failed it last week and need to retake it early next week. I went over the case summaries and I thought I knew everything pretty well. I thought the exam went fine but I missed the pass cutoff by 2 points. I am not sure how I should restudy for this exam.

Did you do anything specifically when reviewing the case summaries? I felt like there was a lot of detail in the case summaries (like how much BP reduces if you reduce dietary sodium vs. DASH eating vs. physical activity). Do I need to know that level of detail from each cases?

Bump. I have these questions too. Also, do we need to know detail from the case summaries such as all the different shoulder exam tests (Neer's sign, Sulcus sign, Apley scratch) and what they indicate?

Anyone?

Bump. I have these questions too. Also, do we need to know detail from the case summaries such as all the different shoulder exam tests (Neer's sign, Sulcus sign, Apley scratch) and what they indicate?

Anyone?

I don't think we would need to know those tests because I feel physical exam skills are tested separately depending on your clerkship. Anyone else have an idea of how much detail we are supposed to know from the case summar pdfs?

I don't think we would need to know those tests because I feel physical exam skills are tested separately depending on your clerkship. Anyone else have an idea of how much detail we are supposed to know from the case summar pdfs?
The test is pretty reasonable. If a detail seems extremely specific and not clinically useful, then you probably shouldn't memorize it. The exam does test specifics, but those tend to be repeated more than once throughout the cases, or at least are reasonable for medical students to know. I'm sure the majority of students get any given question correct-- meaning nothing's too crazy.

Was the re-take exam the same as the first one you took? I know you posted this long time ago but I need to re-take it as well :(