FMG and fellowship in dermatology.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJamrock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I complete a a training program in Dermatology in Brazil and become a member of the Brazilian Society of Dermatology,would it be hard for me to get into a dermatology fellowship program in the USA.(I am on the way to being ecfmg certified).

Members don't see this ad.

it probably depends on the program as to whether and how strongly they consider foreign residency graduates, but i think it's pretty difficult. fellowships are generally very competitive already, and i think more consideration is usually given to us-trained residents.

i'd do a lot of legwork before applying to figure out which programs are friendly to non-us dermatologists and what they want you to do as an applicant.

If you build up your rep enough in Brazil with a strong record of research, you will probably have a better shot than just joining a society. Programs that are willing to look at foreign trained physicians typically have a heavy emphasis on research.

Also, if you are looking to become a board certified dermatologist here in the states, you'd have to do your residency here (except in very rare circumstances), not just a fellowship.

If you are looking to stay in Brazil and just want the fellowship to state that you are an American trained physician to gain prestige, then it may be to your benefit to do an internal medicine residency in the U.S. and then do your dermatology (or other advanced training) in Brazil. I know several people who have done this route (mostly in other fields, though) and have gone back to their home countries and made $$$