FMG in Cardiology?

Started by PeterJH
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PeterJH

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do a lot of FMGs manage to obtain cardiology fellowships, or is it generally USMGs?!?

I'm applying to Australia med school, and I'm a canadian, but I would really love to work in the US. Obviously I'm not deadset on cardiology as I haven't even studied it yet, but I do find it interesting.

I know the most important thing for the fellowship is where one does their residency. Are the top IM residencies FMG friendly, or is this an unlikely path?!?
 
68 views and no replies? Can anyone please comment on this?
 
do a search on FMG and cardiology there are a ton of old threads on this
 
Hmm... IMGs make up a considerable proportion of cardiologists. I don't think at the fellowship level the country of graduation matters much. The important thing is to get a good letter of reference during your internal medicine residency.

Look at scutworks.com. Number of IMG is a good indicator of the level of competition facing a particular residency. 1/4 of cardiology fellows are foreign.