FMG in military meds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hzma

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering: can a Foreign medical graduate apply for residency in the military medical programs?
Does military medicine have a different match system than eras/nrmp?
Does it include the VA health system?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a definative answer, but to be a medical corps officer you must be a U.S. citizen. I assume if you meet all the criteria for a civilian residency and a state medical license (passing USMLE, etc) you would be ok.

The VA system and military residencies are different.

Hey, I was wondering: can a Foreign medical graduate apply for residency in the military medical programs?
Thanks!

As has already been mentioned, you must be a US citizen to be commissioned in the military.

as for getting a military residency, you might be able to work with a recruiter and see if they can get a contract written for you that includes going directly into a residency.

I do know at least a couple FMG's that are in the Navy, but I don't know where or how they did residency.

If your looking to improve your odds of getting a residency in the US just by including the military to increase the number of programs you apply to, then you really need to think about whether your prepared to be in the military, and be deployed.

If you truly want to be in the military, then best of luck, and may your burnout not be as rapid as most of the rest of us.

i want out

Members don't see this ad :)

There are FMGs in the Navy, at least. How they got in, I don't know. My guess is that they were U.S. citizens and already trained and licensed before commissioning.

Yes.

No. The VA hospitals usually have affiliations with local civilain university-based residency programs that are filled through NRMP/ERAS. That has been the longstanding pattern for residency staffing at the VA.

Thanks you guys! And we'll see... thanks!

Thanks!

To address the initial question. No. In order for an FMG to be in the Medical Corps you must be a graduate of a certified U.S. residency. We can't take you before that.

We do use ERAS for the application process, but the actual assignment system is different.

DoD and the VA are developing partnerships, but these are in their infancy.