FMG, Step 2 CS reporting schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrea929

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a FMG, I would like to apply for residency (2020 Match); I have scheduled Step 2 CS for late July (Reporting Period October 9 through November 6).
Assuming that I will receive the result back on the first day of the reporting period (October 9), do you think that not having the Step 2 CS result available on September 15th will affect my application?
Another thing: Do you think that having Step 3 done by the beginning of the application process could be of any help?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing you can do about it now.

Ideally, I/FMGs should have everything done by the opening of ERAS to optimize there application.

Thank you for the answers.
Can you you go a little bit deeper into this? I am aware that many programs have filters for IMGs that don’t have all the steps cleared, but once you have them all in your application (in early October in my case), how does this affect your chances to get interviews?

Because October is a month or so into the application cycle, and the earlier the better for IMG/FMG. Many IVs are given early on, and those will typically go to those who are "preferred." Obviously for IMG/FMG the more complete an app the better. Not to say that for AMGs a complete app is not needed, but obviously foreign grads are always at a disadvanatge.

Reactions: 1 users
Also for I/FMGs you must have step 1,ck,and cs passed to be able to participate in the match...AMGs do not, so programs are not going to care as much if the AMG doesn’t have all the steps done. you also miss out on invites that are given out before your CS score is reported, which can be a number of programs. Also you have to hope that programs will go back and look at applications that they placed on hold since they were incomplete. And of course the longer into the season, the less interview spots there are, so programs can be pickier.

Hi all,
I'm a FMG, I would like to apply for residency (2020 Match); I have scheduled Step 2 CS for late July (Reporting Period October 9 through November 6).
Assuming that I will receive the result back on the first day of the reporting period (October 9), do you think that not having the Step 2 CS result available on September 15th will affect my application?
Another thing: Do you think that having Step 3 done by the beginning of the application process could be of any help?

Thanks!
It will hurt your application. Many, if not most, programs require ECFMG verification before they'll extend an interview - that means having passing scores on 1, CK, and CS. Those programs that require it usually will set a filter - they literally will not even see your application until the score is back. By the time it shows up, much of the review may or may not already be done (that's specialty specific) and many of the interview invites might have already been extended. There's nothing you can do about it now though.

Step 3 won't matter one way or the other - and you're not eligible to take it yet anyway, as it requires you pass 1, CK, and CS before you can register for it.