FMG vs. D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Floyd77803

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is obviously a negative stigma that is associated with both FMG's and D.O. but which one is worse? Many patients out there have no clue what a D.O. is, so who are they going to trust the D.O. or the M.D. (they probably won't ask if the M.D. is an FMG). I'm not saying anything against D.O.'s, in fact my uncle is one and he's a damn good physician, but I also know many FMG's that are damn good physicians. I'm going to make a generalization that I don't know will be true or not, but isn't the residency program more important in educating a good doctor then the medical school? It seems that residency is where are the practical knowledge is learned.

Members don't see this ad.

Good point about residency training being important. However, realize that along those lines, you will undoubteldy have far greater opportunities as a D.O. of landing a great residency than as a FMG. You won't even be allowed to rotate through some hospitals as an FMG medical student (unfortunately). D.O.s are not looked down upon as much as before, if at all anymore, certainly not by most MDs. If anything, in many hospitals it actually distinguishes you as an American graduate. Don't get me wrong, I think that medical school is what you make of it, but, politically, FMGs have a much harder time, unfortunately. Patients generally don't notice your letters, and if they do, you can simply explain what your degree is. Many hospitals actually just put MD on your name tag (often inadvertently). I have seen many DOs with MD after their names, not correct it. And although I don't agree with it, it doesn't seem to matter either way. The AOA is currently involved in a national campaign to make D.O. a household word and is advertising in areas where there is not alot known. The bottom line is that an osteopathic medical education is an American medical education meeting all the same standards as the allopathic counterpart. Admission requirements are pretty close to that of MD granting medical schools. If you cant get into aqn MD or DO medical program, consider the foreign schools and work hard. You will have a shot at an American residency. I have no doubt that your education will also be a good one aborad, having alot of friends who went abroad. However, as an FMG, the politics are against you. As a DO, you have greater opportunites of getting into good allopathic residencies, not to mention the exclusive osteopathic residency programs.