FMG's and residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

How difficult would it be to get a competitive residency (neurosurgery, ortho, plastic) from a carribean school?

Members don't see this ad.

Difficult. get good board scores, lor's and do well in the basic sci. and you'll be alright. It's been done before and it will be done again:clap: .

Originally posted by markglt
Difficult. get good board scores, lor's and do well in the basic sci. and you'll be alright. It's been done before and it will be done again:clap: .

How well do u have to do on boards and basic sciences and does anyone know what percentage of these residencies go to fmg's?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are really set on doing ortho or N-surg don't go to a carribean medical school. That's just common sense. Has it been done in the history of carribean grads? Sure. But even with top level lors, grades, and usmle scores, the odds still aren't really great

Originally posted by meanderson
If you are really set on doing ortho or N-surg don't go to a carribean medical school. That's just common sense. Has it been done in the history of carribean grads? Sure. But even with top level lors, grades, and usmle scores, the odds still aren't really great

Who would have a greater advantage a carribean grad or a DO grad?

Considering similar stats and scores?

The number of IMGs in these fields entering per year is quite low,5% of spots if that much.However a few people from Caribbean schools do get in.2 from St Georges did get ortho and 1 into plastics this year.No one can tell you the exact board scores needed but last year a matched ortho applicant had >240.
you will not only have to rock the boards but will need to make connections in the field and demonstrate super performance on clinical rotations and electives.If you wont be happy unless you match into one of these fields then I agree the caribbean is not for you.I think that DOs have an edge over IMGs because there are DO only residencies in these specialties.While few in number they take only DOs,who can aplly to allopathic residencies as well.So there are some more options as a DO.

Originally posted by NRAI2001
Who would have a greater advantage a carribean grad or a DO grad?

No question...a DO grad.

As ny skin doc said, SGU does tend to get 1 or 2 here and there. But just having great scores and grades isn't enough. You've got to make some real connections too......and that's not a trivial point. As a DO grad with great scores and rotation grades, you aren't going to need nearly as much 'help'

It's also important to note that when people talk about SGU matching 1 or 2 into ortho, the class size is 3-4x bigger than most american schools. So really, if SGU matches 2 into ortho and an ostepathic school matches 3, the DO school matched 5x as many people in ortho(on a per student basis) than SGU did. It's an important point that many fail to consider.

Originally posted by meanderson
No question...a DO grad.

As ny skin doc said, SGU does tend to get 1 or 2 here and there. But just having great scores and grades isn't enough. You've got to make some real connections too......and that's not a trivial point. As a DO grad with great scores and rotation grades, you aren't going to need nearly as much 'help'

It's also important to note that when people talk about SGU matching 1 or 2 into ortho, the class size is 3-4x bigger than most american schools. So really, if SGU matches 2 into ortho and an ostepathic school matches 3, the DO school matched 5x as many people in ortho(on a per student basis) than SGU did. It's an important point that many fail to consider.

Wow, good point.

Very high scores needed for the specialty you asked about. Even then you may not get in.

High means 220 to 250 on both step one and two.
I'm not trying to scare you. Just be prepared.

EH.

O im not in med school yet. I am a third year at berkeley. I am just considering different schools the apply to.

Traditionally students that go to Caribbean Schools, go into the basic medical fields. It is very tough to get ortho or neurosurg. To get either you will have to get higher than 235 on step one to even get interviews. I know that Ross matched one into neurosurg and 4 into ortho last year. My class at Ross didn't have anyone that wanted neurosurg but a couple matched into ortho this year. Several got ER this year and many got General Surgery which was very competitive this year. If you know for sure that you want to do one of these specialties then I would suggest that you retake what ever you did bad in (usually the mcat for Carib students) and apply to the US schools again. Good Luck :luck: