FMGs in neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LocutusofBorg

Asklepian Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if being an FMG from a carribean school like SGU is an automatic rejection when it comes to Neurology. Are any of you FMG's? What would it take for a foreign graduate to obtain a neurology residency?

Members don't see this ad.

LocutusofBorg said:
Hi all,

I am wondering if being an FMG from a carribean school like SGU is an automatic rejection when it comes to Neurology. Are any of you FMG's? What would it take for a foreign graduate to obtain a neurology residency?

I am not an IMG, but I do know that there is a large portion of IMG that go into neurology. Don't know why. And, I know many IMG in neurology, so I think it is a field that welcomes IMG.

If you go to the SFmatch website and go to match statistics under the password required section, it tells you the amount of IMG's that apply and the amount that were accepted last year.

LocutusofBorg said:
Hi all,

It is not by itself an automatic rejection. What usually helps are good board scores, letters, research, the usual, etc. It's doable but like other specialties, you run into programs that are less FMG friendly than others. It would be a good idea to read gopherbrain's FAQ's if you haven't already. It all basically applies to anyone, AMG or FMG. Also consider doing audition rotation(s) early in your fourth year. As the above poster mentioned, Neurology has been a little more open armed to FMGs than in other specialties. Some have speculated it has something to do with the fact that many AMGs can go after more 'lucrative' fields. But if you love neurology, then it is a no-brainer, no pun intended.