Kojak

15+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2002
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
Difficult - unlike other places, the UC's, which control many of the EM residencies, aren't very cosmopolitan - as a Californian, I'd say they can be surprisingly xenophobic/elitist. Maybe it comes from having the three tier UC/CSU/junior college system, and many immigrants. But if you're interested, you can certainly try, maybe they'll get tired of throwing good people out the front door. :)

In EM, I only know of SGU grads at Highland, and SGU and Ross at MLK/Drew, I think. Test scores were high, I'd imagine.

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Only 2 out of 340 students matched in EM from Ross in this past NRMP. If you walk around campus here, you'll hear a large portion of the students say that they want to go EM. Right now, the odds are not in their favor.

A better bet is to do your IM residency, then do a fellowship in Critical Care medicine. You won't be cracking chests or doing a lot of trauma work with that, but most ED's are not Level I anyway.

Point is, you don't need to be Board Certified in EM to work in an ER. When I worked in a large, inner city ER years ago, only 2 of the 18 staff doctors were board certified EM. The rest were IM and other medicine specialities.

-Skip Intro
MS2 Ross University
Portsmouth, Dominica

About the Ads
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.