Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

FMG's matching EM in Cali

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Kimberly Parker, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Kimberly Parker

Kimberly Parker New Member

Anyone know stats on Ross Grads or other FMG's ability to match in EM programs in California? Step 1, Step 2 scores needed?:D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kojak

Kojak New Member

Difficult - unlike other places, the UC's, which control many of the EM residencies, aren't very cosmopolitan - as a Californian, I'd say they can be surprisingly xenophobic/elitist. Maybe it comes from having the three tier UC/CSU/junior college system, and many immigrants. But if you're interested, you can certainly try, maybe they'll get tired of throwing good people out the front door. :)

In EM, I only know of SGU grads at Highland, and SGU and Ross at MLK/Drew, I think. Test scores were high, I'd imagine.

4. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Only 2 out of 340 students matched in EM from Ross in this past NRMP. If you walk around campus here, you'll hear a large portion of the students say that they want to go EM. Right now, the odds are not in their favor.

A better bet is to do your IM residency, then do a fellowship in Critical Care medicine. You won't be cracking chests or doing a lot of trauma work with that, but most ED's are not Level I anyway.

Point is, you don't need to be Board Certified in EM to work in an ER. When I worked in a large, inner city ER years ago, only 2 of the 18 staff doctors were board certified EM. The rest were IM and other medicine specialities.

-Skip Intro
    MS2 Ross University
    Portsmouth, Dominica