fmgs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabbages

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything to infer from a program that has taken, say, all foreign med. grads in the past match or a majority in past matches?

Is it all right to do multiple surg path electives my fourth year b/c I'm taking it at my home institution but want to do one at a place im interested in but all they offer is surg path?

ps. thanks for the websites on the other thread!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Program that has only taken FMGs in the recent past probably has not done well in the match. I must say that many of the FMGs that apply are outstanding. But, a program will take a US grad first, if for no other reason due to the money the program gets from the US gov for US grads.

Do as many path electives as you want. It may make starting out easier. But, your 4th year is also time to do some things you may never have the opportunity to do again. I did an ER month and took a computer couse for fun.

it probably reflects the competitiveness of the program. a program with all fmgs may be less attractive to us americans for several possible reasons and thus they have to get fmgs.

Members don't see this ad :)
so US grads will rank programs less if they are IMG friendly?

i understand that it's hard to generalize this statement into a compact line, but in general, is this the case?

because i then wonder about places like Yale, which take MANY IMG candidates (esp. in Path). I can't picture US graduates passing up the resources of Yale due to a higher number of IMGs.

cheers
rirriri

No I do not believe US grads rank programs lower if they are IMG friendly. Basically every program in the country was IMG friendly a few years ago, due to the fact that very few US grads went into Path.

Usually people rank programs based on what they think about the program. Weighing such things as workload, location, facilities, working enviornment, prestige, etc...etc... If someone would not rank a program because they have IMGs they better reconsider their specialty choice, maybe even their profession choice. There are lots of FMGs in all of medicine and the US is a diverse place. Most of the FMGs that make it into residency have multiple years of research and higher test scores than the average US grad.

One thing to remember just because a place has a big name as a school (ie. Yale) does not necessarily mean they have a good pathology program. I don't know anything about Yale one way or another, but I don't really recall hearing anything special about their path program.

Good luck.