Focused Ultrasound Therapies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BronxBomber

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of the residents or attendings here heard about FUS therapy for neurological diseases (Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, essential tremor etc.)?

I wonder if this could be a field that neurologists move into to get more procedural reimbursements. I loved my time rotating through neurology, but I'm worried about low salaries and lack of procedures.

http://www.fusfoundation.org/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think like Stereotactic Radiosurgery, at this time, this area is controlled by neurosurgeons. I don't really see why a neurologist wouldn't be able to get involved with this, but they may not have the same neuroanatomical interventional IQ that a neurosurgeon has. It would probably require some type of fellowship training bc this is not a benign treatment that in theory could have complications. I think that TMS, ECT, Tcdcs are technologies that will be available to neurologists if research allows these therapies to become FDA approved for certain neurological conditions... ie. read a recent study that supported TMS in Alzheimers.

Reactions: 1 user