Follow up after rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JkGrocerz

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i got a big fat rejection from a program that I had quite some interest in... this sucks. Is it still worth sending an email expressing interest and requesting them to reconsider ( or at least waitlist me for when people start cancelling?) I think i'm a fairly strong applicant when it comes to board scores, EM grades, EC's etc. I have an ass load of other interviews so I know my app doesnt suck.

has anyone done anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

JkGrocerz said:
So i got a big fat rejection from a program that I had quite some interest in... this sucks. Is it still worth sending an email expressing interest and requesting them to reconsider ( or at least waitlist me for when people start cancelling?) I think i'm a fairly strong applicant when it comes to board scores, EM grades, EC's etc. I have an ass load of other interviews so I know my app doesnt suck.

Nope, better to just go drinking and forget about it.

JkGrocerz said:

Call or email.

What is the worst that will happen? They may say no.

Members don't see this ad :)
edinOH said:
Call or email.

What is the worst that will happen? They may say no.

Even if they interview you, though, know that the common belief that once you interview, everyone is on an equal playing field is not always true. A lot of places give you a score for your interview, add it to the score that got you your interview and rank you from there. Then they go through and hand throw out, add certain people. The situation you want to avoid is having someone take pity, interview you, and still ranking you low enough where it's impossible to match----a big waste of your time, money.

mike

You might as well call. But i agree with CWRUMike.. All that being said I had a friend who didnt get an interview with a program he really wanted.. Talked his way into an interview ranked them #1 and matched.. So I guess the lesson is that there is some hope.

EctopicFetus said:
You might as well call. But i agree with CWRUMike.. All that being said I had a friend who didnt get an interview with a program he really wanted.. Talked his way into an interview ranked them #1 and matched.. So I guess the lesson is that there is some hope.

Yes, but remember: the plural of anecdote is not data. While someone may have been wooed by a tearjerking interview, and that particular program may have placed all the weight on the interview, I'm telling you how a lot of places rank people. If they don't want to interview you, even if you weasled in an interview, and did fantastic, you'll still likely be ranked low. If the program is down the street and you can emotionally deal with it, fine. If you have to spend $800 to travel, I would seriously heed my advice. Just like I wouldn't spend my last $5 on a lottery ticket, although people have won the lottery.

mike

mikecwru said:
Yes, but remember: the plural of anecdote is not data. While someone may have been wooed by a tearjerking interview, and that particular program may have placed all the weight on the interview, I'm telling you how a lot of places rank people. If they don't want to interview you, even if you weasled in an interview, and did fantastic, you'll still likely be ranked low. If the program is down the street and you can emotionally deal with it, fine. If you have to spend $800 to travel, I would seriously heed my advice. Just like I wouldn't spend my last $5 on a lottery ticket, although people have won the lottery.

mike
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Agreed. The thing is if this is the OPs #1 choice why not give it a shot. Cost is always a concern but outside of the $$$ issue there is nothing to lose. I know some places do the "scoring system" and others start from scratch on interview day. The thing is the OP has no idea and the risk to him is limited. An airplane ticket is $200 hotel $75. All of that is after the even OFFER an interview. Also the hand sorting is a key thing. Even if you ended up low but truly impress on the interview you will be fine.. BTW thanks for reminding me that the plural of anecdote is not data. I almost forgot! :laugh:

In the end you have to proactive with your future. If you arent you WILL fall behind those who are.

EctopicFetus said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Agreed. The thing is if this is the OPs #1 choice why not give it a shot. Cost is always a concern but outside of the $$$ issue there is nothing to lose. I know some places do the "scoring system" and others start from scratch on interview day. The thing is the OP has no idea and the risk to him is limited. An airplane ticket is $200 hotel $75. All of that is after the even OFFER an interview. Also the hand sorting is a key thing. Even if you ended up low but truly impress on the interview you will be fine.. BTW thanks for reminding me that the plural of anecdote is not data. I almost forgot! :laugh:

In the end you have to proactive with your future. If you arent you WILL fall behind those who are.

Great advice here!

I would add one thing -- don't be afraid to try and call the PD or e-mail and ask specifically WHAT it was that held you back. It may well be that you were among the many at the 'cut' line and just through luck of the draw, didn't get one. If that's the case, I'd go for it.

Or maybe they will tell you sorry, but you're academic record and/or board scores don't measure up. If that's the case, I'd move on. Tough to try and overcome that type of stigma no matter how strong your interview.

Or maybe they don't have a track record with people from your school or, worse, maybe someone from your school has not done well at the program. This, admitedly, is something that is going to be hard to get out of the PD. But you might get a feeling of it in talking to them.

To say nothing of the fact that if you find out why you were initially rejected and then decide it is in your interests to go on any offered interview, you know what you need to be ready to address.

For the record, I was in your position with one of my choices last year. I had plenty of interviews and am happy with my #1 choice where I matched, but the program that I really had it in my head I would gun for rejected me. So I wrote the e-mail. And I can tell you that I DID NOT get an interview. But I will tell you this -- I got a personal response from the PD, i have since met him at conferences, and I now consider his program a possible destination for fellowship/job opportunity. By then I stand to be a known quantity, and I know I am at least on his radar now.

Good Luck. Oh, and the good thing -- so many strong programs, unless it is for personal reasons, like your spouse is already there, or something, I can almost guarantee that whatever you loved about the place that rejecte you, you can find that (and possibly more) and several other programs...