For all you PRACTICING PharmD's: Health Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doublestufforeo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so, I'm trying to figure out our expenses: what kind of premiums (amount$) are we talking about here for family health insurance and what do I need to know about malpractice insurance? how much does this cost on average? and are there any other things I need to budget for? (you know, besides living expenses, food etc.) Thanks!
 
Okay so, I'm trying to figure out our expenses: what kind of premiums (amount$) are we talking about here for family health insurance and what do I need to know about malpractice insurance? how much does this cost on average? and are there any other things I need to budget for? (you know, besides living expenses, food etc.) Thanks!

Health insurance depends on how subsidized your plan is by employer and what plan do you want. If you want a high deductible plan, it is probably 100 dollars for a small family versus 3-400 dollars for a low deductible plan. Malpractice insurance for me is less than 200 dollars a year.

Other expenses you should budget for includes publications and journals to keep current. A good pharmacist also spends a few dollars here and there for his staff members (ie... I buy my staff lunch and drinks if I know there will be a big job today such as inventory). Also dont forget dress shoes (mines worn out pretty quickly)...
 
For a family, including children, it's $75-130/every 2 weeks on our plan depending on which one you pick...it ranges from a plan where you have to go to the hospital and its associated providers for care to a plan where you can go to any practitioner, anywhere and its paid in full.

My malpractice is something like $120/year...it's cheap for pharmacists...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking at my single biweekly earning statement:

Dental: $4.15
Medical: $33.07
Vision: $3.51

Malpractice is $115/year

If we're talking about other professional expenses too, remember RPh license renewal every two years or so...will be a couple hundred for each State you're licensed in.
 
Looking at my single biweekly earning statement:

Dental: $4.15
Medical: $33.07
Vision: $3.51

Malpractice is $115/year

If we're talking about other professional expenses too, remember RPh license renewal every two years or so...will be a couple hundred for each State you're licensed in.

My monthly statement:

Dental: $10.00
Medical: $0.00
Vision: $0.00

I actually feel like I am being ripped off, as I have not required the services of a dentist in 9 years.....Pre-rinse, brush, post-rinse, two times daily, and repeat. Not terribly difficult.

And, I don't have to listen to women or children talk/whine/cry/yell/anything.......I am the winner!!!
 
My monthly statement:

Dental: $10.00
Medical: $0.00
Vision: $0.00

I actually feel like I am being ripped off, as I have not required the services of a dentist in 9 years.....Pre-rinse, brush, post-rinse, two times daily, and repeat. Not terribly difficult.

And, I don't have to listen to women or children talk/whine/cry/yell/anything.......I am the winner!!!

Haha...you sound like one of those candidates for sedation dentistry I hear on ESPN radio in the morning.

I'm trying to remember what it says...something along the lines of "there's no need to worry, we'll give you a small PILL, sit back and relax as we work on those 15 years of embarassment and neglect"... 😉

Seriously though...how have you not gone in so long? I actually go at least 2-3 times a year when I go back home...and enjoy it. Though there's rarely any whiny children at mine. He's the Marlins/Dolphins team dentist...last time Ricky Williams was sitting in the chair next to me.

I can't really remember when last time I got an Rx filled though, so that's pretty much a waste...
 
Haha...you sound like one of those candidates for sedation dentistry I hear on ESPN radio in the morning.

I'm trying to remember what it says...something along the lines of "there's no need to worry, we'll give you a small PILL, sit back and relax as we work on those 15 years of embarassment and neglect"... 😉

Seriously though...how have you not gone in so long? I actually go at least 2-3 times a year when I go back home...and enjoy it. Though there's rarely any whiny children at mine. He's the Marlins/Dolphins team dentist...last time Ricky Williams was sitting in the chair next to me.

I can't really remember when last time I got an Rx filled though, so that's pretty much a waste...

Hahahahaha........I used to go regularly. However, every time, they would do x-rays, tell me nothing was wrong, the dentist would come in for 45 seconds, ask me if I had ever had braces, I would tell him no, then he/she would tell me my teeth were in excellent shape. So, I gave up on these people, and became convinced that if I refrained from eating so much damn sugar (I really do not consume any simple sugars, and I chew sugar free gum after anything goes in my mouth), and brushed my teeth every day, there is really no need for a dentist.........I have been correct so far.
 
Hahahahaha........I used to go regularly. However, every time, they would do x-rays, tell me nothing was wrong, the dentist would come in for 45 seconds, ask me if I had ever had braces, I would tell him no, then he/she would tell me my teeth were in excellent shape. So, I gave up on these people, and became convinced that if I refrained from eating so much damn sugar (I really do not consume any simple sugars, and I chew sugar free gum after anything goes in my mouth), and brushed my teeth every day, there is really no need for a dentist.........I have been correct so far.

LOL...do you floss?

It actually feels good to have them scrape out the tartar though.

Oh, and we'll see how long it takes a dental student to walk in to this thread and ream you out! 😉
 
I haven't been to a dentist since I was 17. No insurance. Yes, there is probably a WV joke that could be told. Feel free. After you turn 18, medicaid pretty much assumes you don't exist anymore and they don't give a damn if you are going to school...unlke you rich ****s whose parents insurance will pay until you are 57 or whatever...anyway...like Pri says...I take care of the choppers, so 'f it.

However, now that I am employed, my dental benefit kicked in at the beginning of the year...I suppose I should go so they can tell me I don't have any cavities. I completely forgot about the dental coverage, Pri...thanks for randomly bringing it up...
 
Every two weeks for me and me alone:

Health (PPO) : $30.16
Dental : $4.77
Vision : $3.41
FSA : $7.70

Long term disability (60%) : $10.62
Short term disability (65%) : $20.95
Supplemental life : $18.67

Other stuff:

Malpractice insurance = less than $200/year
License = less than $100/year
State & National SHP membership = around $400 - 500/year
AACP & PSAP stuff to maintain BCPS = lots of $$$, not sure of total yet

Food & candy for department : $100/month give or take
Cards/Flowers etc for department (bereavement etc) : $50/month give or take

403b = 15% of pretax income


so how do you survive with this sort of deficit spending????? :meanie:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't been to a dentist since I was 17. No insurance. Yes, there is probably a WV joke that could be told. Feel free. After you turn 18, medicaid pretty much assumes you don't exist anymore and they don't give a damn if you are going to school...unlke you rich ****s whose parents insurance will pay until you are 57 or whatever...anyway...like Pri says...I take care of the choppers, so 'f it.

However, now that I am employed, my dental benefit kicked in at the beginning of the year...I suppose I should go so they can tell me I don't have any cavities. I completely forgot about the dental coverage, Pri...thanks for randomly bringing it up...


Take care of your teeth you fool... you could have gum disease....