For Biology..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vaheb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to know for Biology on the DAT, is everything from like from Biological Diversity and Plants included in the information that we need to know? Because in KBB (not really focusing with this book) they literally only have a paragraph about plants and my friend keeps on saying oh whatever is in KBB is what they're going to focus on the DAT and I keep on arguing with him that the book is not a great resource, next to Cliffs and Barron's, even though those books are for the AP Bio exam.

Vaheb

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't trust KBB. Also, the bio topics vary from one test version to another so it's difficult to accurately gauge based on people's experiences. There haven't been too many plant questions for most test takers though from what I've read in score reports.

I didn't have anything on plants. I had a really really simple taxonomy question. All of the stuff was super easy or like wtf? There were a few things I knew I knew, but couldn't remember them, but I knew it was basic. I've only had one bio class and it was 3 years ago so I was going soley on destroyer and KBB and a bit of schaum's. There were 3-4 questions that i'd never heard of. The rest I missed was just nerves/ lack of repetition during studying. Totally doable.

I strongly recommend Barron's AP bio + Alan's notes. Also read Cliff's if you have time. Don't look down on AP prep materials. KBB can't even level with AP prep materials in terms of details and practice questions which ARE important for the DAT. Essentially, ap is for college level intro classes and that's as far as DAT will test you on. Tell your friend, if he wants a bio score of around 16, use KBB, definitely.

I strongly recommend Barron's AP bio + Alan's notes. Also read Cliff's if you have time. Don't look down on AP prep materials. KBB can't even level with AP prep materials in terms of details and practice questions which ARE important for the DAT. Essentially, ap is for college level intro classes and that's as far as DAT will test you on. Tell your friend, if he wants a bio score of around 16, use KBB, definitely.

Haha I will!

I've been using Cliff's and Barron's simultaneously because they both fill in the gaps for each other. Like one won't have a great explanation of a concept, but the other book will have it in a little more detail. I literally have both books open at the same time and just reading both hehe. 7 more weeks!