• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This is for the guys/gals who are always present for every induction.
Let's say the ORs planned start time is 7am. You have 2 or 3 rooms to start.
How do you guys do it? Start one early, one late? We start one late, the surgeons no likey. The nurses don't want to start early either.:rolleyes:
I'm curious how the 1:3 and1:4 folks do it. I'm guessing they're not there for induction?
No hidden agenda/judgments, just curious what others are doing.

dA pilot

15+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2002
Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I work in a partial care team model where docs work in rooms by themselves for about 25 percent of the time. To make things work, it is all about the scheduling and assignment of cases. We assign the long startup cases (hearts/major vascular) to doc only rooms. When someone is covering 3-4 rooms, we try to mix in long easy cases with mac only rooms or rooms where the surgeon is flipping back and forth. The post call doc can also stay a half hour to get cases started. I am present for every induction and our surgeons appreciate that we are present for all critical periods. There are other ways to also buy time, such as putting a second IV in while waiting for the anesthesiologist.

pd4emergence

Man or Muppet?
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How do you guys do it? Start one early, one late? We start one late, the surgeons no likey. The nurses don't want to start early either.:rolleyes:
I'm curious how the 1:3 and1:4 folks do it. I'm guessing they're not there for induction?

We are 1:4 always but rarely have 4 separate surgeons. Usually at least one surgeon has 2 rooms which make the starts more manageable. Our crna's don't induce without us there. If it looks like it's gonna be more than a few minutes before an induction, we usually have somebody who we can call for help. Sometimes the room just has to wait. It's far from perfect but it's the best we can do. The key for us is to have a safety valve.

About the Ads

dr doze

To be able to forget means to sanity
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Combination of factors:
-some ORs start 7am, some 7:15, some 7:30
-Guy on call the night before makes assignments he tries to balance out start times and case complexity
-guy who is waiting to start his cases or if has already started will help others out start some of the rooms
-Guy on call the night before will start a room or two if busy day, then pass the room off.
-for a straightforward case, if pressed will leave as soon as tube or block is in.
-sometimes they just have to wait for us

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

They can wait. I'm sure they would rather wait 15 min than see their pt go down south on induction.

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Our docs are there for every induction. An induction/intubation generally only takes 2-3 min, then the doc can move on. The surgeons can wait. We have almost zero surgeons who show up on time, whether they're scheduled at 7am or 3pm. Clearly if they're not concerned about being on time, it's not that important that we do so. ;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.