For current NPs, is it worth getting DNP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combatwombat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, in a year or two from now there will be practice restrictions placed on NP's, and they will have to become DNP's in order to practice the way regular NP's do today. I know that current NP's as well as NP students who are graduating next year will be grandfathered in to this new system, so they won't have to get a DNP in order to avoid the practice restrictions.

My question is: is it worth getting a DNP if you're an NP student who is going to be grandfathered in? I hear a lot of school admins insist that it will be worthwhile to remain competitive in the job market, but word on the street is that nobody wants to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not an np but my take on this from talking to many I work with is this:
DNP's will not have any more practice rights than ms np's. there is (currently) no state that requires the dnp. any state that allows independent practice will continue to do so and a dnp will not let one practice independently in a state that does not currently allow it.
anyone certified before 2015 will be able to keep working.
if you want to teach or do admin. it might be worth while to get the doctorate, otherwise save your money

Currently there is a political push (by a select few who indirectly and directly benefit from the degree creep), though there isn't legislation on the books that will make the DNP the default degree needed.

Most of the reasons for getting a DNP can be better addressed through already existing degress/programs (MBA, MPH, Ph.D) or can be attained through additional mentorship (formal or informal), in clinical, administrative, leadership, etc areas. The DNP is an excuse to charge students more money for very little benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently there is a political push (by a select few who indirectly and directly benefit from the degree creep), though there isn't legislation on the books that will make the DNP the default degree needed.

Most of the reasons for getting a DNP can be better addressed through already existing degress/programs (MBA, MPH, Ph.D) or can be attained through additional mentorship (formal or informal), in clinical, administrative, leadership, etc areas. The DNP is an excuse to charge students more money for very little benefit.

Be careful! I said this in another thread and I'm lucky to still have fingers so I can type. ;)

Mandatory DNP=degree creep. Nothing more. I would save my cash for something else unless (like someone else said) you want to go into academia.

Gotta keep up with the Jones.

RE: dnp...

it was an ugly log debate several weeks ago.

THe take away message from me is this:

In a profession that can not establish an entry degree for the RN (adn,bsn,diploma); suddenly a DNP needs to be the criteria for sitting for the boards?

I am in a DNP program (not online just in case we go down that road again) and it is rigorous. It is heavy on academics and research. I believe with my strong ICU background and current NP role in acute care and emergency medicine it will not enhance too much about my practice.

P.s. fab4...agree that's not exactly what was said.

RE: dnp...

it was an ugly log debate several weeks ago.

THe take away message from me is this:

In a profession that can not establish an entry degree for the RN (adn,bsn,diploma); suddenly a DNP needs to be the criteria for sitting for the boards?

I am in a DNP program (not online just in case we go down that road again) and it is rigorous. It is heavy on academics and research. I believe with my strong ICU background and current NP role in acute care and emergency medicine it will not enhance too much about my practice.

P.s. fab4...agree that's not exactly what was said.

ocean: I wish you well in your studies and hope the DNP gives you some sort of return for your investment of time and $$. And you are so right about the hypocrisy of the mandatory DNP when there are six ways from Sunday to become an RN. Excellent point.

fab4.

not sure if i was clear with my P.S.

I have a feeling you felt i was not in agreement.

i was agreeing i with the response you made that point about TFC being right in his response.

Somethings can get lost in translation. . you and i are on the same page.

fab4.

not sure if i was clear with my P.S.

I have a feeling you felt i was not in agreement.

i was agreeing i with the response you made that point about TFC being right in his response.

Somethings can get lost in translation. . you and i are on the same page.

Oh, no. I gotcha the first time. ;)