For DO prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanaschool2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think which Postbacc/Master program prepares you better to gain entrance to Osteopathic Medical School? Any idea on which school has the best matriculation rate?

1) PCOM
2) PCOM-GA
3) UMDNJ biomed
4) KCOM master
5) KCUMB bioscience
6) LECOM postbacc
7) Other: _______
8) All of the above

I know every postbacc/masters including well-known BU, Georgetown, Loyola SMPs can prepare you to be a strong DO applicant. So, let me hear your opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think which Postbacc/Master program prepares you better to gain entrance to Osteopathic Medical School? Any idea on which school has the best matriculation rate?

1) PCOM
2) PCOM-GA
3) UMDNJ biomed
4) KCOM master
5) KCUMB bioscience
6) LECOM postbacc
7) Other: _______
8) All of the above

I know every postbacc/masters including well-known BU, Georgetown, Loyola SMPs can prepare you to be a strong DO applicant. So, let me hear your opinion.

Do you know when the application deadlines are for those programs?? I am interested in applying. Thanks! :)

-PlAnEjaNe

Do you know when the application deadlines are for those programs?? I am interested in applying. Thanks! :)

-PlAnEjaNe

UMDNJ-Newark: June 1st
UMDNJ-Strat: July 1st
KCOM: Passed (march1st)
KCUMB - unknown
LECOM: Aug 1st
PCOM&PCOMGA: July1st? (i'm not sure)

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ-Newark: June 1st
UMDNJ-Strat: July 1st
KCOM: Passed (march1st)
KCUMB - unknown
LECOM: Aug 1st
PCOM&PCOMGA: July1st? (i'm not sure)

I just wanted to let you know that I have been doing some searches on these programs and I have seen a lot of positive feedback on the KCOM and the PCOM programs mostly, a little on the UMDNJ program, but not as much..probably because it is not as well known. Anyhow, I just thought I would let you know that the PCOM and KCOM program have the best feedback and from what I have seen those that have completed the program ~80% or more have been accepted to the respective DO schools or other DO/MD schools..it seems that if you do well in these programs (3.5 or better) that you will most definitely get into med school. :)

-PlAnEjaNe

KCUMB bioscience did not mention its deadline. I believe it is passed though. I dunno anything about their program.

PCOM-Philly BMS - It is very well known & respectable program. It seems very popular among SDNers. In one year, you can earn a graduate certificate. You can earn a master if you do your research in second year but it's totally optional. I'm not sure about how many percentage of students who completed the program actually gain an entrance to medical school. The guy in the office told me that 50% of students get an INTERVIEW @ PCOM. But people say that most of them get into med school eventually. I believe they select about 50~80 people each year.

PCOM-GA BMS - I believe PCOM-GA is established very recently. According to their website, it is pretty much same w/ PCOM-philly. I'm not sure about its quality. I wonder if it is as good as PCOM Philly campus. The courses are little bit different from Philly campus (maybe just the names are different).

KCOM biomedical science - it's a two year thesis based master degree program. I do not think it is very well known (since they don't advertise the program..not because of its quality). They select about 15 students each year. Most of their students get into KCOM med school as long as they perform good in classes & MCAT.

UMDNJ - I dunno much about it but I was told that 82% of their students get into professional schools.

I hope this helps.

I just wanted to share some semi-good news...I contacted the admissions info ppl and asked them about my competitiveness in the program, and here is the response-

Hi and thanks for your interest in PCOM.
It sounds to me that you would be a fine
candidate for admission to our biomedical
sciences program, *********. I see that you
have an application on file with us but at
this point in time, the file is incomplete.
We will be unable to review your application
for admission until we have the appropriate
documents on file. Please work on having
your college transcripts, test scores, college
letter of recommendation, and signature
page (see attached) sent to us as soon as
possible.
Thanks!
~Kari

This with my crappy MCAT of 24Q (yah...I know) and crappy gpa 2.8 (will be 2.9 by end of semester with post-bac...and yah...I know). I just wanted to give some of you a point of reference I guess....all hope is not lost! :luck:

-PlAnEjaNe

PCOM-Philly BMS - ...The guy in the office told me that 50% of students get an INTERVIEW @ PCOM.

That's odd...every Biomed that applies gets an interview. Still don't know numbers of people that have gotten in yet, though.

I was just accepted to the UMDNJ-Stratford master's in biomedical science program. I am just waiting to hear back from PCOM-Philly and PCOM-GA. It was a really quick turnaround time..mailed my app on the 30th of April and was accepted May 11th...less than two weeks!

-PlAnEjaNe

Can I apply to a DO-SMP and its medical school at the same time?

As far as I know. I don't see why not? Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

-PlAnEjaNe

Most DO master programs accept the applications until late June or July of the year it starts. For that reason, it is unnecessary to apply to both DO-SMP and medical school at the same time. If you don't hear back from medical school by March or something, then apply to DO-SMP. It would still be fine.

Hi there -
I will be attending a DO school in the fall, but I'm currently doing an SMP at the University of Cincinnati. I definitely would suggest applying to SMP programs that are based out of allopathic institutions. I only applied to 3 MD schools (b/c they are my state schools) and about 12 DO schools, so you can see that it doesn't matter.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there -
I will be attending a DO school in the fall, but I'm currently doing an SMP at the University of Cincinnati. I definitely would suggest applying to SMP programs that are based out of allopathic institutions. I only applied to 3 MD schools (b/c they are my state schools) and about 12 DO schools, so you can see that it doesn't matter.
Good luck!

Yes. As I mentioned earlier, it does not matter where you do SMP or postbacc programs. You can get into DO schools from any institutions. However, it is true that people who did DO SMP @ DO institution would have some advantages in order to get into their DO medical schools (knowing professors, recommendation letters, guarenteed interview, etc). If you want to have broader options such as applying to allopathic med schools, you can consider doing SMP/postbacc @ allopathic med school. In the end, it's about GPA/MCAT/EC/LETTERS/INTERVIEW.

Just a thought - I wanted to mention the Duquesne program (I think it's a post-bac not an SMP though) because they have a really good linkage to LECOM so that you don't have to take a gap year while you are applying. The requirements to go to LECOM through Duquesne did not seem too difficult and I was told that basically anyone who wants to do it and meets the minimum requirements they set will get in.

Catch is you only apply to LECOM (you can go to either the Erie or Bradenton campus) and thus you have to commit to them. A positive is that Duquesne is a lot cheaper than some other SMPs (for example, BU) - so still expensive but not in comparison. (I think it was about $20,000 for tuition for the year plus Pittsburgh has a lower cost of living than places like Philly, NYC, or Boston)

Obviously, you could do the Duquesne program and not link to LECOM which would just make it a post-bac like any other but I just thought I'd throw this out there in case any of you were looking for something with a linkage to a DO school. Not sure if the app deadline passed though...

Just a thought - I wanted to mention the Duquesne program (I think it's a post-bac not an SMP though) because they have a really good linkage to LECOM so that you don't have to take a gap year while you are applying. The requirements to go to LECOM through Duquesne did not seem too difficult and I was told that basically anyone who wants to do it and meets the minimum requirements they set will get in.

Catch is you only apply to LECOM (you can go to either the Erie or Bradenton campus) and thus you have to commit to them. A positive is that Duquesne is a lot cheaper than some other SMPs (for example, BU) - so still expensive but not in comparison. (I think it was about $20,000 for tuition for the year plus Pittsburgh has a lower cost of living than places like Philly, NYC, or Boston)

Obviously, you could do the Duquesne program and not link to LECOM which would just make it a post-bac like any other but I just thought I'd throw this out there in case any of you were looking for something with a linkage to a DO school. Not sure if the app deadline passed though...

hey folks,

the Duquesne program in for non-science majors or for career changers correct?

~m~

Hello all,

I just got accepted to the PCOM-GA campus biomed program...I am going to be turning it down for the UMDNJ biomed program though (stratford campus). Soooo, basically a spot will be opening up for those that are still waiting to hear back from PCOM-GA...good luck!

-PlAnEjaNe

planejane, do you know how many seats are being offered for the UMDNJ stratford masters?

planejane, do you know how many seats are being offered for the UMDNJ stratford masters?

No, but I have seen floating around SDN that it is around 20 or so. Not sure if the class is full yet...I have only seen 1 or 2 other people on SDN that have also been accepted...if that is any marker for how the class is shaping up.

-PlAnEjaNe

No, but I have seen floating around SDN that it is around 20 or so. Not sure if the class is full yet...I have only seen 1 or 2 other people on SDN that have also been accepted...if that is any marker for how the class is shaping up.

-PlAnEjaNe

damn... only 20 or so. sounds like I got no chance.:( thanks for the 411

damn... only 20 or so. sounds like I got no chance.:( thanks for the 411

Last time I heard, they select more than twenty people. I think people do not know much about stratford campus. It seems like Newark campus is much favorable to most SDNers (newark campus offers Master students to take classes w/ MD students, not DO students) since it is listed on the AAMC postbacc site. So, don't worry and apply ASAP if you haven't applied yet.

Last time I heard, they select more than twenty people. I think people do not know much about stratford campus. It seems like Newark campus is much favorable to most SDNers (newark campus offers Master students to take classes w/ MD students, not DO students) since it is listed on the AAMC postbacc site. So, don't worry and apply ASAP if you haven't applied yet.

Yeah...sorry if I gave any misinformation..I just haven't heard much about the program (numbers wise) so I was just going off of what I had seen floating around SDN a few years back.

I would still apply...I know the class isn't full and it is a great program and very reasonably priced...like 18k oos for the entire program.

-PlAnEjaNe

Hello all,

I just got accepted to the PCOM-GA campus biomed program...I am going to be turning it down for the UMDNJ biomed program though (stratford campus). Soooo, basically a spot will be opening up for those that are still waiting to hear back from PCOM-GA...good luck!

-PlAnEjaNe

PlAnEjaNe, what's the reason you chose UMDNJ biomed over PCOM-GA? UMDNJ is a public school. I think PCOM-GA is a private institution. I thought graduates from PCOM-GA biomed would have a better chance to get into their DO program than the chance for UMDNJ biomed graduates to get into their DO program (for oos residents). It's just my opinion.

PlAnEjaNe, what's the reason you chose UMDNJ biomed over PCOM-GA? UMDNJ is a public school. I think PCOM-GA is a private institution. I thought graduates from PCOM-GA biomed would have a better chance to get into their DO program than the chance for UMDNJ biomed graduates to get into their DO program (for oos residents). It's just my opinion.

Yes, this is true, however, I most likely will become a NJ resident once my husband finds a job in the next 6 months or so. Also, the PCOM-GA program is a non-thesis program and I really want to do a thesis...seems kind of a waste to pay all the money and not be able to do a thesis (in my opinion). Finally, there is still the small chance that I will get into PCOM Philly campus, which is really my first choice because, as you said, it is a private school and it is a thesis-based program. Sometimes I feel like I am going out on a limb with this program, but right now, it is the best shot that I have got that has all the things I want in a program. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks or so.

-PlAnEjaNe