For Everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you or did you major in for your premed requirements....also say if you made it or if you're in the process of making it...oh and if u didn't make it..

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure what your question is here. There are a lot of threads discussing what major people chose, they may be on page 2 or 3. If you go to www.mdapplicants.com, you could enter in more specific things, like how many people from Vanderbilt got an acceptance from any MD school, and it will pull up profiles for you. Or, how many people got into Duke from any undergrad. You can do the search however you want. Happy looking.

EDIT: I majored in Pharm and I am a first-time applicant.

EDIT: Check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=190585

I majored in Psychology, and I "made it" (as you put it), you can look at my MDapps for more info if you want. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
you don't major in anything FOR your premed requirements. u major in something to get a degree in that major. u take the premed requirements so u can be premed........

p.s. biomedical engineering.

Robizzle said:
you don't major in anything FOR your premed requirements. u major in something to get a degree in that major. u take the premed requirements so u can be premed........

p.s. biomedical engineering.

Please...i'm not trying to be technical here...I'm just wondering what the other geniuses in here majored in before they applied for med school....

Did an H.BSc in Biochem...made it.

BS in Marketing
BA in Biochemistry

....and yes....I made it.

Triple Major: Biochemistry, Biology, Psychology

Got accepted into a Canadian med school.

danman said:
Please...i'm not trying to be technical here...I'm just wondering what the other geniuses in here majored in before they applied for med school....

History. then law. And thanks for the genius complement -- glad you noticed.

You can major in anything. Just take the handful of prereqs somewhere along the way.

I think someone here is trying to see what major he should pick that has the highest percentage of students who GET into med school....

How original...

MinnyGophers said:
I think someone here is trying to see what major he should pick that has the highest percentage of students who GET into med school....

How original...

I think he's the same one that is an unwilling biochem major only because he thinks thats what adcoms want to see and can't conceive of the fact that folks can actually major in totally unrelated or nonscience fields and be successful. He's stuck in 1975 I think.

I was biomedical engineering (or bioengineering as they call it at Penn State). It's pretty interesting but plenty of work.

I have NOT made it yet :)

ironmanf14 said:
I was biomedical engineering (or bioengineering as they call it at Penn State). It's pretty interesting but plenty of work.

I have NOT made it yet :)

take the emphasis off the NOT and put it on the YET :thumbup:

danman said:
What are you or did you major in for your premed requirements....also say if you made it or if you're in the process of making it...oh and if u didn't make it..

Majored in English. Haven't made it, unless someone miraculously takes me off a waitlist. I know my English major itself is not what is keeping me out, but I do think I could have planned better. No matter what major you choose, you need to do well in your prereqs, and I didn't do as well as I should have. And I do think instead of spending time on some things, i.e. my honors thesis which I actually loved (and many other things, which I also loved), I would have benefited from taking some more upper level science courses that could improve my otherwise borderline BCPM. Or I could have shied away from some killer honors science courses that were unnecessary to take and wouldn't have gotten me in this mess in the first place. But ya, on the plus side, I love reading and writing about literature, so that definitely up-ed my cumulative GPA. And just because my school practices grade inflation for English courses, I was under a little bit less pressure for part of my load compared to some of my other friends who were doing other things :)

biochem, minor in stats

enjoyed it very much

Bio major, possibly a history minor and a chem minor

Haven't applied yet, and won't for another year, so don't know how good that'll work for me. :D

Chem/French major

Don't major in chem if you don't like it, it's harder to maintain a high BCPM since you have to take all the high level chem, maths, and you take engineering physics instead of regular physics...

The French helps a lot with the AO GPA though... but lots of work also involved :D

BS in Zoology, AB in Political Science, and a Neuroscience minor.

If you're just wanting the most common major for medical school matriculants, it's biology.