For nontrads who are career changers, what motivated you to walk away from your past careers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SparklyRainbows

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
See title, I may also do a career change so I'm curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I was sitting in a cubicle behind a computer, doing work that's ultimate purpose was making rich people richer, and wanted something more. If I have to work every day, I wanted to do something that A) felt like it mattered/helped people and B) was stable and lucrative enough that I wouldn't have to worry about finding a job or having money. Medicine fulfilled those things. Sure, medicine has a lot of drawbacks, but medicine calmed many of the existential and financial concerns I had prior to go to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding your financial concerns, medicine is a very safe investment. You invest ~$250k, and your return is a stable job of a minimum $250k/year for the rest of your career. Salaries can be much higher depending on which specialty you go into ($300k-$600k.) The graduation rate and match rate is high for USMD students, so I wouldn't let concerns about the financial ramifications of not graduating/matching affect your decision too much since both are rare occurrences and generally avoidable.

Regarding debt, unless you have family support, are independently wealthy, or are a super impressive applicant that can get a merit scholarship, loans are a reality of this path. That said, there are several loan deferral/forgiveness programs available, and you can structure your repayment in many ways, so your loans don't have to be a burden on your life.

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding your financial concerns, medicine is a very safe investment. You invest ~$250k, and your return is a stable job of a minimum $250k/year for the rest of your career. Salaries can be much higher depending on which specialty you go into ($300k-$600k.) The graduation rate and match rate is high for USMD students, so I wouldn't let concerns about the financial ramifications of not graduating/matching affect your decision too much since both are rare occurrences and generally avoidable.
I generally agree with this. But to play devil's advocate, you should also consider opportunity cost. You'll have 7+ years of significantly lower income. Depending on where you come from, income-wise, this may not be a good economic decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.