For Private Practice: MSW or MHC/LPC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eah5704

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading various threads on this website and others and find myself a bit bewildered by the range of views. My goal is to make a career change from teaching to private practice therapy through either an MSW program or a Master in Mental Health Counseling (MHC) program. The MSW degree would, of course, lead to a LCSW license and the MHC degree to an LPC license. I live in the state of Maryland and would like to be able to practice in MD and in DC and I know I need to dig through the relevant state licensing regs to understand that aspect of the process. That said, regardless of state regs, I'm having trouble seeing which path to private practice therapy might be best.

Below are what seem to be the advantages of each program/license.

MSW SUPPOSED ADVANTAGES: I have read that getting an MSW is the best path to working in a private practice. This may be because supposedly the MSW degree is more widely recognized -- and perhaps more highly regarded -- than the MHC degree. Along with that it seems the LCSW license is more widely recognized (and more highly regarded?) than the LPC one. Does that fit with the impressions and experience of those already in the field?

MHC SUPPOSED ADVANTAGES: In the MHC degree program (Johns Hopkins' in particular) all coursework focuses on theories and techniques that are directly applicable to private practice work. Some say that this means you come of an MHC program with much greater clinical experience and knowledge than you would from an MSW program.

The MHC and the MSW programs I am considering are all 60 credits (48 credits of coursework and 12 in the field). The programs I am considering at this point are Catholic Univ.(MSW), Johns Hopkins (MHC) and George Washington (MHC). I believe the MSW program is about 15K more than the MHC programs, but I would still do it if I believed I would come out of the program much better positioned to meet my career goal of doing individual therapy in a private practice.

Sorry for such a long post. I'm just feeling confused as to my best path. Thanks in advance for any insights!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually stumbled upon this board while trying to find information regarding the same question. If one wishes to provide therapy in a private practice setting, is it better to receive a Master's degree in SW or MHC?

I am in FL if that makes any difference.

Thank you in advance!

Both are pretty good routes to take. Honestly, there are more similarities than differences between both career paths. I'm finishing my MHC program and I'm currently contracting with a practice owned by a LCSW. She's my clinical supervisor and she pretty much does everything a CPC would do. Billing procedures and scope of practice really vary state by state. I would check with your state's legislation on LCSWs and CPCs. Hope this helps!