for-profit system versus non-profit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahamis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is a general rule that in government facilities the workload tends to be less heavy. However, they tend to pay less.
What about the for-profit versus non-profit private settings? What are the big differences? Has anyone worked on both settings?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a general rule that in government facilities the workload tends to be less heavy. However, they tend to pay less.
What about the for-profit versus non-profit private settings? What are the big differences? Has anyone worked on both settings?

Not necessarily true at all. I would compare individual places against each other.

Reactions: 1 users
My hospital (with psych wards) was previously owned by CHS and was recently bought by Curae, a small non profit. The profit vs nonprofit status doesn't seem to make much of a difference for the doctors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I work for a not-for-profit hospital. 457K allow additional $18k of pretax income for retirement. Ask about it...that is $36k total a year for retirement...

I think that non-profits are more likely to re-invest profits into staff or infrastructure instead of rewarding shareholders. By definition, they don't make a profit for investors. That doesn't mean that for profits are all greedy or all non-profits are well run.

Reactions: 2 users
I think that non-profits are more likely to re-invest profits into staff or infrastructure instead of rewarding shareholders. By definition, they don't make a profit for investors. That doesn't mean that for profits are all greedy or all non-profits are well run.

Non profit hospitals in today's times are becoming one of the most profitable schemes in existence. Salaries for C-Suite execs are astronomical, and mid level execs often double the highest paid physician on staff. Virtually no charity care is administered. They will invest in infrastructure or staff only to increase revenue and nothing more. Given their tax exempt status, your salary may be higher, but they will extract ever drop of blood from your veins. How hospitals got richer off Obamacare

Reactions: 2 users
Non profit hospitals in today's times are becoming one of the most profitable schemes in existence. Salaries for C-Suite execs are astronomical, and mid level execs often double the highest paid physician on staff. Virtually no charity care is administered. They will invest in infrastructure or staff only to increase revenue and nothing more. Given their tax exempt status, your salary may be higher, but they will extract ever drop of blood from your veins. How hospitals got richer off Obamacare

Only a n=1, but this has not been my experience at all thus far in my non-profit hospital. Anything could change, I suppose, but it's been quite the opposite experience.

Only a n=1, but this has not been my experience at all thus far in my non-profit hospital. Anything could change, I suppose, but it's been quite the opposite experience.

Depends on the hospital, really. There are two hospitals in my area that in particular are notorious for the type of behavior described in the article.

Depends on the hospital, really. There are two hospitals in my area that in particular are notorious for the type of behavior described in the article.

Oh, I don't doubt that it definitely happens. Just can't paint with a broad brush on many of these sentiments.