For Students at SCO, UAB, ICO:

Started by blueeyedOD
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blueeyedOD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you NOT like about your program? I'm trying to decide between several schools, and no one ever tells you the negative stuff. Every school has good and bad points, so what do you wish was different at your school?
 
No one has responded, so I felt bad and then conjured up the guts to say something negative about my school *gasp*.

SCO will soon be losing a couple of *great* professors to the new schools. Personally, I think that with the recent switch to semesters we're still trying to feel our way through the revised program. Most of it is still the same, but some classes have been made harder and others a bit easier, so it's difficult to really say EXACTLY what your classes are going to be like because I didn't go through some of them myself.

I think the bottom line is that if you are torn between 3 schools you should go back to square 1 and figure out what initially drew you to them. Figure out your top 5 priorities for you and your potential school, then compare all 3 and find out which one fits your top 5 the most.

You should come to SCO, though, cause we're awesome! 🙂 Just throwin' that out there!
 
Hey, thanks, I appreciate someone being honest and speaking up. Why would the profs leave to go to a new school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's THE new schools.

One of our professors is going to the UIW in Texas as the new dean... he's married to another professor, so she's going with him.

One of our VPs is going to be the VP/Dean/Whatever at the school in Cali.

I think a lot of schools are going to take a hit when the faculty recruitment process begins for the new schools. SCO isn't an exception; we are ALREADY taking hits.
 
It's THE new schools.

One of our professors is going to the UIW in Texas as the new dean... he's married to another professor, so she's going with him.

One of our VPs is going to be the VP/Dean/Whatever at the school in Cali.

I think a lot of schools are going to take a hit when the faculty recruitment process begins for the new schools. SCO isn't an exception; we are ALREADY taking hits.

The new dean of UIW will not be missed at SCO. I have a feeling that school won't get off the ground very easily. 🙂
 
What do you NOT like about your program? I'm trying to decide between several schools, and no one ever tells you the negative stuff. Every school has good and bad points, so what do you wish was different at your school?

The main negative points to me at my school (UAB) were addressed...when I left 🙁

They renovated the optometric clinics we used for CEVS and patient care; they are using nice new clinic equipment now🙂.

The allied health school was renovating the Volker Hall classrooms that we shared with dental and med students when I left also. The rooms were musty and rumored to be insulated with asbestos, I never could breathe easy in there.

I understand the the curriculum is also changing to more case based learning; and I think that will be a great new approach to the learning process.

The tuition also seemed to go up every year (that may be true at all schools though). UAB also charged you so much for very poor parking each semester. That has not changed I would bet.

I am trying to be helpful, hope it is-