For the '12ers on Here: AP Credits?

Started by Mufid
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mufid

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

For the 2012 graduates still on here, what do you recommend to do for AP Credits? Which specific AP credits did you take and which ones did you not (like let's say it's good to use credits for Calc but bad for AP Physics or something)?

Is there anyone on here that goes to Michigan or Case? I would like to know especially for those colleges, but if you do not go there, please post anyway as I believe many on here are taking AP Classes.

Thanks. 🙂
 
Hi. The general rule is that it is best to take AP Credits for classes that medical schools do not specifically require and need proof of, and to decline AP Credits for essential classes. For example, AP US History are good credits to take. It is a bad idea to take credits for Chemistry or Biology, since medical schools want to know that you took those classes at the college level. It can be a bit vague as to what classes are specifically required and which ones you have wiggle room on. Every school is different, so the best thing is to check with your pre-med advisor in college.

In terms of Michigan, I know that INS (I'm No Superman) goes there. Try emailing him.

Cheers, and good luck!
 
Hello everyone!

For the 2012 graduates still on here, what do you recommend to do for AP Credits? Which specific AP credits did you take and which ones did you not (like let's say it's good to use credits for Calc but bad for AP Physics or something)?

Is there anyone on here that goes to Michigan or Case? I would like to know especially for those colleges, but if you do not go there, please post anyway as I believe many on here are taking AP Classes.

Thanks. 🙂

I agree with Anti; take what you can get other than bio/chem (and maybe physics?) unless you want to take significant upper-level coursework in whatever you AP out of.

In my personal experience, I used AP credit for English language, English literature, US history, European history, government, macroeconomics, and calculus. I didn't use science credit. This allows you to free up some core courses and take classes that are interesting to you. Use as much as you feel comfortable with!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope LSU destroys Alabama Dox.

Gardner was great out there against Minnesota, wasn't he? 😀

Would you like to share what credits you took when you matriculated to Michigan? How are intro bio and intro chem courses at UMich?

I don't think I'd like to pursue Physics in college so taking AP credit in that would be useless. It was an interesting course though.
 
Such vitriol! It looks like your wish may be fulfilled though...

All of the teams I wanted to win (sans Michigan) lost today... Gardener was amazing today, I honestly think we would have won the Nebraska game if Hoke would have put him in instead of Bellomy.

Gardner was great out there against Minnesota, wasn't he? 😀

Would you like to share what credits you took when you matriculated to Michigan? How are intro bio and intro chem courses at UMich?

I don't think I'd like to pursue Physics in college so taking AP credit in that would be useless. It was an interesting course though.

The AP credit I used here was calc credit. On top of that, I took 8 credits of history and 8 credits of chemistry at a college and am having them transferred.

I haven't taken intro bio yet, but I'm in organic chemistry, and it is pretty darn difficult.

Also, about physics. It's a premed requirement so you have to take it.

Basically, what Dox and AHMD have said hold true.

...

Go Blue!
 
I know physics is required to take, it's just that I'll retake physics in college instead of using AP Physics credit since I don't want to go any further in physics. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 🙂

I've heard from some people though that it might be better to take the credits to get out of large intro classes. Plus, I would probably take more classes in bio and chem in college anyway b/c of my interest in them (especially Chem 😉). What do you think? 😕

The whole saving money thing is enticing too.

Good luck INS in your organic chem class!

Thank you everyone for your help.
 
So as long as one were to take AP credits for classes that aren't prereqs, it's fine? How do medical schools consider this? While AP credits for non-reqs are accepted, will they actually prefer that those classes be taken again in college? I've taken AP US Gov (5), US History (Test not yet taken), World History (5), Psychology (5), English Literature (Won't accept credits), English Language (Won't accept credits), Calculus BC (Test not yet taken), and Physics B (Won't accept credits).

I would much rather focus my time on those weed out classes during early undergrad if possible so I only won't accept credits for pre-req classes such as English and Physics B.
 
Last edited:
I know physics is required to take, it's just that I'll retake physics in college instead of using AP Physics credit since I don't want to go any further in physics. Sorry for the misunderstanding. 🙂

I've heard from some people though that it might be better to take the credits to get out of large intro classes. Plus, I would probably take more classes in bio and chem in college anyway b/c of my interest in them (especially Chem 😉). What do you think? 😕

The whole saving money thing is enticing too.

Good luck INS in your organic chem class!

Thank you everyone for your help.
-Removed-
 
Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, if you do accept credits for science pre-reqs, you must take higher level courses in that area as a substitute to say that you've completed a pre-req with AP credits but are capable of doing the work.

I'm almost positive that AP credit is not accepted.