nrut88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
This doesn't have ANYTHING to do with anesthesiology but, does anyone here own or plan on owning a porsche, ferrari, lamborghini, or even some type of sporty benz or lexus. Perhaps that you only drive when you go out or on the weekends? Many doctors (typically anesthesiologist and surgeons) do where I live.

EVOLUTIONofMAN

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
nrut88 said:
This doesn't have ANYTHING to do with anesthesiology but, does anyone here own or plan on owning a porsche, ferrari, lamborghini, or even some type of sporty benz or lexus. Perhaps that you only drive when you go out or on the weekends? Many doctors (typically anesthesiologist and surgeons) do where I live.
This is hilarious. One of the many great perks about being a doctor. As long as your a great business man, and can back it up with your skills. Pretty much anything you've ever wanted can come true. Personally, this past year, in 2005, I managed just under 460K take home. Damn malpractice insurance. That's a lot of cash where I'm from and still is. With this much money and being a veteran of 12 years I've managed to buy, just recently, a brand new S65 Mercedes. I also own a Porsche Cabrerra GT and Aston Martin. I'm looking into buying some sort of Ferrari now that I've recently sold my Dodge Viper. Like I said, as long as your a great business man and can back it up. You've got it made. That is of course as long as you don't have tons of children. ;) Keep your head up. Don't let the pessimists out there get to you. Medicine is NOT a field where salaries are radiply deminishing and won't be for a long time. Oh yeah, and don't let me get started on the vacations. Docs have gotta have something to keep them ticking. :)

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
nrut88 said:
I drive a black 4 wheel drive yukon xl with a 9-inch lift kit, 35-inch Nitto Terra-Grapplers, cold air intake, throttle body lifter, Hypertech programmed, Edlebrock dual exhaust, cab lights, limosine tint....canna Copenhagen in the cup holder.....

ohhh, sorry...

did you ask a question about some pu ss y sports cars? :D

About the Ads

Varmit22

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I've got two words for you: Nissan Sentra
Yea, that's right. Jealous :laugh:

OP
N

nrut88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
jetproppilot said:
I drive a black 4 wheel drive yukon xl with a 9-inch lift kit, 35-inch Nitto Terra-Grapplers, cold air intake, throttle body lifter, Hypertech programmed, Edlebrock dual exhaust, cab lights, limosine tint....canna Copenhagen in the cup holder.....

ohhh, sorry...

Ha. That sounds pretty nice. Evolutionofman did a pretty nice job explaining how he does and CAN afford what I was talking about. So answer that atleast. You need all that to prove your NOT a pus s y? That's the vibe I'm getting.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
nrut88 said:
Ha. That sounds pretty nice. Evolutionofman did a pretty nice job explaining how he does and CAN afford what I was talking about. So answer that atleast. You need all that to prove your NOT a pus s y? That's the vibe I'm getting.
I'll leave all the expensive cars to the rest of you.

Just doesnt do it for me.

I'd rather have a big truck.

To each his own.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
nrut88 said:
Evolutionofman did a pretty nice job explaining how he does and CAN afford what I was talking about. .
And you show your ignorance with your above post:

You can't judge someone's bank account by what they drive.

Actually, for most americans, you probably can:

The more expensive the car, the less they have in the bank and the higher their debt load.

Sounds like you need to read The Millionaire Next Door.

Hmmmm....

Since you're still a teenager (or thereabouts...I reviewed your previous posts boasting about your dad, etc)....

do you know who Warren Buffet is?

Do you know what he drives?

DrDre'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
South Central
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Watch out Jet
This hoodrat drives a toyota sienna, that's right- a minivan without kids.

i sleep in it on trips. got a vcr from the compton swap meet in it.

now i'm a rich resident, maybe i'll buy a new racing bike- the kind you peddle...

from the op,i know now how to be cool!

jetproppilot said:

The more expensive the car, the less they have in the bank and the higher their debt load.

Hmmmm....

Since you're still a teenager (or thereabouts...I reviewed your previous posts boasting about your dad, etc)....

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
jetproppilot said:

2nd richest man in the world behind Bill Gates.

He used to drive a 2001 Lincoln Town Car[18], though he recently purchased a Cadillac DTS.

Also still lives in the same house he purchased in Omaha, NE. in 1958 for $31,500.

DrDre'

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2003
South Central
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Watch out Jet
This hoodrat drives a toyota sienna, that's right- a minivan without kids.

i sleep in it on trips. got a vcr from the compton swap meet in it.

now i'm a rich resident, maybe i'll buy a new racing bike- the kind you peddle...

from the op,i know now how to be cool!

jetproppilot said:

Hmmmm....

lvspro

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The richer the cheaper.

OP
N

nrut88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
Not a car salesman. I just love really bad a$$ expensive cars. 2nd thing I'm obsessed with right behind medicine. Hope there's nothing wrong with planning on owning several myself. Besides one day becoming a doctor, I plan on extremely nice vacations and really nice cars. The book you speak of is called... The Millionaire Next Door? Sounds like a good one. What will I learn from it? Other than that, I never knew there was anything wrong with wanting extravagant luxuries later in life when one can afford them. I know it sure the hell doesn't make you a bad person. I just started this post asking IF anyone here owns any.

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
wow...something right up my alley...the porshce carrera GT is arguably THE best supercar out there...nontheless, with the ferrari F60, murcielago, pagani zonda, koenigsegg, ascari, mcclaren SLR, and such...there are plenty to choose from...I'd rather be slightly understated and drive the e60 M5 or porsche 997 carrera S as my daily driver, then have the porsche 997 turbo, ferrari 430, or aston martin db9 volante for the weekends, range rover sport for hauling the kids, and lotus exige s, prodrive p2, ferrari 360CS, and corvette z06 for the track...cars are just another hobby for most....like anything else, if you want to play, you've gotta pay :thumbup:

About the Ads
OP
N

nrut88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
GMO2003 said:
wow...something right up my alley...the porshce carrera GT is arguably THE best supercar out there...nontheless, with the ferrari F60, murcielago, pagani zonda, koenigsegg, ascari, mcclaren SLR, and such...there are plenty to choose from...I'd rather be slightly understated and drive the e60 M5 or porsche 997 carrera S as my daily driver, then have the porsche 997 turbo, ferrari 430, or aston martin db9 volante for the weekends, range rover sport for hauling the kids, and lotus exige s, prodrive p2, ferrari 360CS, and corvette z06 for the track...cars are just another hobby for most....like anything else, if you want to play, you've gotta pay :thumbup:
That's awesome how you have that hobby for cars. Are you a doctor? Do you own several or plan on it? I know for a fact there's 2 things I want for myself when I become a doc. That's bad a$$ cars and b itchn vacations. Please enlighten me and tell me what you plan on doing or already have as far as cars are concerned.

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
Missouri
Status
Attending Physician
nrut88 said:
That's awesome how you have that hobby for cars. Are you a doctor? Do you own several or plan on it? I know for a fact there's 2 things I want for myself when I become a doc. That's bad a$$ cars and b itchn vacations. Please enlighten me and tell me what you plan on doing or already have as far as cars are concerned.

You will never be able to afford these cars for many, many years if you are a doc. Dont go into medicine for these things. I had a long enlightening post, but due to technical difficulties I lost it. Suffice it to say that for you too reality will eventually set in.

OP
N

nrut88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
Laryngospasm said:
You will never be able to afford these cars for many, many years if you are a doc. Dont go into medicine for these things. I had a long enlightening post, but due to technical difficulties I lost it. Suffice it to say that for you too reality will eventually set in.
Why do you say that? It's not like being a doc your barely making a 6 figure sum. There are a lot of people out there who don't want to have a family or don't want to have kids. And, for those people I don't see why it would be so hard (when your making around 300K a year) to have those types of luxuries. I mean, where I'm from in Texas, like I said earlier, I barely don't know a doc who doesn't own some type of expensive sports car along with a benz or range rover. And thats even with kids and a family. Why the pessimistic view point of not being able to "afford these cars"?

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
Missouri
Status
Attending Physician
nrut88 said:
Why do you say that? It's not like being a doc your barely making a 6 figure sum. There are a lot of people out there who don't want to have a family or don't want to have kids. And, for those people I don't see why it would be so hard (when your making around 300K a year) to have those types of luxuries. I mean, where I'm from in Texas, like I said earlier, I barely don't know a doc who doesn't own some type of expensive sports car along with a benz or range rover. And thats even with kids and a family. Why the pessimistic view point of not being able to "afford these cars"?
Not pessimistic, realistic. And yes, many docs barely make six figures. It is the exception that makes more than that.
However, if you dont want a family,and dont want to save for retirement, buy a house, or fund your childrens college fund, then yes you can buy one of these cars. There is a difference between being able to buy something, and being able to afford it. If you lose your job, and you keep all your toys, and continue with your current lifestyle and no one comes to take it all away i.e. the repo man or the tax man then that is when you can actually afford it. Not to mention loans for med school and college, you may not have to pay this, but most do. Also of note is the fact that most docs are in hoc up to the whites of their eyes.

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
Missouri
Status
Attending Physician
Laryngospasm said:
Not pessimistic, realistic. And yes, many docs barely make six figures. It is the exception that makes more than that.
However, if you dont want a family,and dont want to save for retirement, buy a house, or fund your childrens college fund, then yes you can buy one of these cars. There is a difference between being able to buy something, and being able to afford it. If you lose your job, and you keep all your toys, and continue with your current lifestyle and no one comes to take it all away i.e. the repo man or the tax man then that is when you can actually afford it. Not to mention loans for med school and college, you may not have to pay this, but most do. Also of note is the fact that most docs are in hoc up to the whites of their eyes.
And no there is nothing wrong with it if you can afford it. Most docs just dont make enough money to realistically be able to afford one, especially not more than one of them and still take nice vacations. Just consider it a reality check, medicine is not the gold mine many people think it is. If you get to the point where you can achieve these things then more power to you. This is not to say you wont be able to buy a 911 or something like that, just dont expect to have something along the lines of a pagani zonda sitting in your garage.

OP
N

nrut88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
Laryngospasm said:
And no there is nothing wrong with it if you can afford it. Most docs just dont make enough money to realistically be able to afford one, especially not more than one of them and still take nice vacations. Just consider it a reality check, medicine is not the gold mine many people think it is. If you get to the point where you can achieve these things then more power to you. This is not to say you wont be able to buy a 911 or something like that, just dont expect to have something along the lines of a pagani zonda sitting in your garage.
Woah woah, I'm talkin cars around 80 to 150 K. Not the half million and up race cars. I'm talkin the 911's and Aston Martin's here.

Another thing, I don't plan on living in Manhattan, New York or Huntington Beach, California. I plan on living somewhere I can make myself capable of affording such cars with much less competition. Some what rural cities from 75,000 to 200,000 people.

Of course if you live in a city with a population even in the ball park of New York, your not going to have some of the luxuries people have living in the suburban areas of those cities or rural areas.

I guess growing up in a rural town in southeast Texas allows me to see what doctors can do with less competition and more patients. A place where the average household salary is $43,000 and the average docs salary is just under $300,000.

EVOLUTIONofMAN

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status
nrut88 said:
Woah woah, I'm talkin cars around 80 to 150 K. Not the half million and up race cars. I'm talkin the 911's and Aston Martin's here.

Another thing, I don't plan on living in Manhattan, New York or Huntington Beach, California. I plan on living somewhere I can make myself capable of affording such cars with much less competition. Some what rural cities from 75,000 to 200,000 people.

Of course if you live in a city with a population even in the ball park of New York, your not going to have some of the luxuries people have living in the suburban areas of those cities or rural areas.

I guess growing up in a rural town in southeast Texas allows me to see what doctors can do with less competition and more patients. A place where the average household salary is $43,000 and the average docs salary is just under $300,000.
Very true.

rn29306

Drugs are bad, m'kay?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Dirty South
Status
Post Doc
I'm gonna just have to settle for a Supra with a turbo about as big as one of those 22" dubs...

I read where the new 911 has totally eliminated turbo lag by having vanes on turbo constantly adjusting their angle so that the turbos are always running at speed. SWEET.

Trisomy13

ultra
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
mountain home
Status
Attending Physician
chinochulo said:
...it's not like I am punishing myself with a Toyota Corolla. :cool:

oh no you di'int!

my Corolla is paid in full, cash on the barrel. it's the only thing Sallie doesn't have a finger on at this point.

but.. it's true.. looking at the speedometer and seeing it cut off at a number far below speeds reached by my bro-in-law's porsche 911, it hurts a little.

i'm saving for a Spyker, personally. :D

Direct Laryngoscopy

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2003
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
chinochulo said:
True dat, Laryngospasm.

nrut88, I like cars myself. I thought I would be buying a 911 carrera at some point in the near future, but you know what, I am now eyeing a new condo with unparalleled and unobstructed views of east midtown Manhattan--gonna cost over a million for a one bedroom probably (and that's if I can get in early). Invest in real estate first, not cars. That $80,000 spent on the porsche help me make the 10% downpayment on my mortgage. And if you think that a million for a one bedroom is too much for queens, new york, ask me what the apartment will be worth in 5 years, even in this cooled off real estate market. In the meantime, I drive an S2000, so it's not like I am punishing myself with a Toyota Corolla. :cool:
Ahh I know where your talking about (entrance to upper roadway of the 59th street bridge) There going for that much. oh well. I don't know how much longer I can take the NY real estate market. :scared:

About the Ads

NYSLicense

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is hilarious. One of the many great perks about being a doctor. As long as your a great business man, and can back it up with your skills. Pretty much anything you've ever wanted can come true. Personally, this past year, in 2005, I managed just under 460K take home. Damn malpractice insurance. That's a lot of cash where I'm from and still is. With this much money and being a veteran of 12 years I've managed to buy, just recently, a brand new S65 Mercedes. I also own a Porsche Cabrerra GT and Aston Martin. I'm looking into buying some sort of Ferrari now that I've recently sold my Dodge Viper. Like I said, as long as your a great business man and can back it up. You've got it made. That is of course as long as you don't have tons of children. Keep your head up. Don't let the pessimists out there get to you. Medicine is NOT a field where salaries are radiply deminishing and won't be for a long time. Oh yeah, and don't let me get started on the vacations. Docs have gotta have something to keep them ticking.
Is it just me or does evolution of man, in his original post sound like some kid who is pretending to be an anesthesiologist.

I mean....he is posting his net salary and the cars he drives. I could be wrong but it sounds like something I would have said playing make believe 15 years ago.

When my salary gets that high....eventually.....I dont think I am going to be trolling around this forum too much posting all of the cars I drive and what types of couture I am wearing. Ill probably be too busy driving them.....and doing cases. Plus there is no such thing as a Porsche Cabrrerra.....its Carrera! If you can't spell it....you DO NOT OWN ONE! Especially if its a Porsche....its a rule!

Most bitter MD's like myself, dont post our salaries, becuase we are too pissed off about them, no matter how high they are.......since our predescessors earned much more, with less malpractice and and less work-hours.

Any thoughts?
I could be totally off-base...but his post just dosen't read like that of seasoned MD.

If I am wrong evolution of man....I apolgize and by the way...are you hiring? And nice tie sir!

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
nrut88 said:
I really enjoy parking my 13 year old honda truck with 130,000 miles and rusting fenders in the doctors parking lot next to the Porsches and Mercedes.

I have a partner who just bought a Lexus LS 550? something expensive....I just bring myself to spend that kind of dough on a car.....I got kids I need to send to college.....

Now, I do ride something fancy on the weekends:

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
militarymd said:
I really enjoy parking my 13 year old honda truck with 130,000 miles and rusting fenders in the doctors parking lot next to the Porsches and Mercedes.

I have a partner who just bought a Lexus LS 550? something expensive....I just bring myself to spend that kind of dough on a car.....I got kids I need to send to college.....

Now, I do ride something fancy on the weekends:

you have the same vice...only its for the 2 wheels not 4...speaking realistically if you want to buy a big boy merc, porsche turbo, or aston you should be making atleast in the 300k+ range...otherwise you're overextending yourself...nonetheless, I remember people in medical school taking out stafford loan money to help them lease some pretty expensive cars...one guy even had a cl55 amg

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Funny you mention the old truck Mil. When I got out of residency i purchased a new car/truck right away. It was 2001 when I got out and I bought a 1984 Toyota Landcruiser with ruste drain gutters and 100,000 miles on it for $2,300. My partners were thrilled b/c the new anesthesiologists didn't come in flashing all sorts of money buying a big house and a fancy new car right away and managing to piss off the surgeons who were making less money in their eyes. I even had surgeons say to me " you drive the beat up brown piece of ****, Man I was affraid to part by it cause it looked so bad." Well it was a hit to say the least. I tricked it out by the way. Sold it 3 yrs later for a 1997 Land ROver Defender 90 (bad ass off roader)

Attachments

GMO2003

15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Noyac said:
Funny you mention the old truck Mil. When I got out of residency i purchased a new car/truck right away. It was 2001 when I got out and I bought a 1984 Toyota Landcruiser with ruste drain gutters and 100,000 miles on it for $2,300. My partners were thrilled b/c the new anesthesiologists didn't come in flashing all sorts of money buying a big house and a fancy new car right away and managing to piss off the surgeons who were making less money in their eyes. I even had surgeons say to me " you drive the beat up brown piece of ****, Man I was affraid to part by it cause it looked so bad." Well it was a hit to say the least. I tricked it out by the way. Sold it 3 yrs later for a 1997 Land ROver Defender 90 (bad ass off roader)
honestly why should you give a shit what anybody else thinks about what YOU do with YOUR money...for god sakes life is too short...if you can comfortably afford your toys...I say DO IT!!!

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
GMO2003 said:
honestly why should you give a shit what anybody else thinks about what YOU do with YOUR money...for god sakes life is too short...if you can comfortably afford your toys...I say DO IT!!!

I didn't by the landcruiser b/c I cared what others thought. Thats pretty obvious by the vehicle I bought. I will say though, there is a lot of animosity b/w surgeons and anesthesiologists with regards to income and you don't need to rub it in their faces.

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Noyac said:
I didn't by the landcruiser b/c I cared what others thought. Thats pretty obvious by the vehicle I bought. I will say though, there is a lot of animosity b/w surgeons and anesthesiologists with regards to income and you don't need to rub it in their faces.
I concur...hence 130,000 mile POS

OP
N

nrut88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
So you guys are saying that a lot of docs have nice cars like mercedes and lexus's besides the exceptional few that have a porsche or whatever?

kraphtymac

Holy ground? Halo ground.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Post Doc
All I have to say is my dream car is a 1967 fully restored Chevy El Camino. Forget all that foreign stuff. Not my fault if I was raised blue collar and still have it in my blood!

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status
nrut88 said:
So you guys are saying that a lot of docs have nice cars like mercedes and lexus's besides the exceptional few that have a porsche or whatever?
OK, Slim, heres what youve been waiting for.

If youre a specialist well into private practice, in the right specialty, you can buy whatever vehicle your heart desires.

Ferrarri. 911T. BMW 700 series. Countach.

You pick.

Many do.

Not the best way to spend your c-notes, but hey, if thats your passion, who am I to judge.

About the Ads

johankriek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2006
Status
Post Doc
jetproppilot said:

ohhh, sorry...

sounds like you are compensating for a small wee-wee.. what do you spend on a gas fill up a cuppla hundy. LOL.

OP
N

nrut88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2005
Status
jetproppilot said:
OK, Slim, heres what youve been waiting for.

If youre a specialist well into private practice, in the right specialty, you can buy whatever vehicle your heart desires.

Ferrarri. 911T. BMW 700 series. Countach.

You pick.

Many do.

Not the best way to spend your c-notes, but hey, if thats your passion, who am I to judge.
Hell yeah. That's pretty much all I wanted to hear. Thank you once again jetproppilot, for making things much clearer for me and the public out there. I do appreciate it.

cdql

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Boston
Status
Medical Student
NYSLicense said:
Is it just me or does evolution of man, in his original post sound like some kid who is pretending to be an anesthesiologist.

I mean....he is posting his net salary and the cars he drives. I could be wrong but it sounds like something I would have said playing make believe 15 years ago.

When my salary gets that high....eventually.....I dont think I am going to be trolling around this forum too much posting all of the cars I drive and what types of couture I am wearing. Ill probably be too busy driving them.....and doing cases. Plus there is no such thing as a Porsche Cabrrerra.....its Carrera! If you can't spell it....you DO NOT OWN ONE! Especially if its a Porsche....its a rule!

Most bitter MD's like myself, dont post our salaries, becuase we are too pissed off about them, no matter how high they are.......since our predescessors earned much more, with less malpractice and and less work-hours.

Any thoughts?
I could be totally off-base...but his post just dosen't read like that of seasoned MD.

If I am wrong evolution of man....I apolgize and by the way...are you hiring? And nice tie sir!
Hard to say...

If he does pull in 1/2 a mil per year and doesn't have kids (or any financial sense at all), it is possible that he owns all those vehicles. Especially if he's been making that kind of salary for 12+ years now. (A stupid way to spend all that dough but it's not my money so I won't comment further)

But like you said...real docs don't post how much they're making and what cars they drive. Pimps and rappers and athletes do that on MTV cribs. Not docs.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was a kid with a very active imagination.

But kudos though kid. You nailed the numbers right on the head!

Tenesma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
OK

1) cars are not investment tools (except for rare occasions)
2) some porsches hold their value sooo well that you could buy a used one that looks sweet - sell it in 2 years for a $1-3,000 dollar loss which means you spent $3,000 to drive a sweet ride for 2 years (that's a monthly payment of $125!!!)
3) showing up w/ a >100,000$ car pisses a lot of people off - it adds to the jerk factor....

now if you are into sweet rides then by all means buy one --- but don't park it at the hospital...

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
Missouri
Status
Attending Physician
Tenesma said:
OK

2) some porsches hold their value sooo well that you could buy a used one that looks sweet - sell it in 2 years for a $1-3,000 dollar loss which means you spent $3,000 to drive a sweet ride for 2 years (that's a monthly payment of $125!!!)
3) showing up w/ a >100,000$ car pisses a lot of people off - it adds to the jerk factor....

now if you are into sweet rides then by all means buy one --- but don't park it at the hospital...

Sage advice. Same goes for ferraris too.

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Tenesma said:
OK

Have you looked at the defenders? They stopped making them in the US in '97 and therefore are hard to find. I can sell mine for at least as much as I paid for it.

VolatileNavyDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Hmmm?

2006 Porsche Carrera GT - msrp $440,000 - 1/4 mile in 11.4 secs

1981 Suzuki GS 1000 - $1500 - 1/4 mile in 11.5 secs - plus the wobble around the corners keeps you awake.

I don't know if this would piss off any coworkers, but it sure does make my wife cringe when half the parts are on the garage floor on the weekend. I have a friend who actually welded a mountain bike rack onto the back of his 1982 Goldwing. It doesn't really inspire any envy, but it does provide some entertainment watching him ride in with the mt bike on the back of his motorcycle.

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I couldn't take it anymore....that old truck of mine is just taking too much maintenance.

I thought about a Cayman S, but in the end I decided on the Subaru....300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque AND 4 wheel drive.

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
Missouri
Status
Attending Physician
militarymd said:
Well, I couldn't take it anymore....that old truck of mine is just taking too much maintenance.

I thought about a Cayman S, but in the end I decided on the Subaru....300 hp and 300 lb-ft of torque AND 4 wheel drive.

Is that really your car? Those things are a steal for the performance you get, tons of fun, and you dont feel bad beating on em. Have fun, although it will still feel slow next to your bike :D

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Laryngospasm said:
Is that really your car? Those things are a steal for the performance you get, tons of fun, and you dont feel bad beating on em. Have fun, although it will still feel slow next to your bike :D
That's me and my new ride on my driveway...I can't wait to break it in.

person2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Status
nrut88 said:

Hey. I'm from a rural town in southeast Texas too, originally anyway. You are mistaken about the average salaries though. More like 150. Housing is cheap, but almost all the docs I know there drive regular cars.

It's not like I am punishing myself with a Toyota Corolla either. I got the sweet ass Camry baby. I'll probably bump it up to the hybrid camry or something in a few years- nice!

Annette

gainfully employed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 1999
The Land of Lincoln
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
And to think I was sooo excited about paying off my 2003 Honda Civic with my first paycheck! (but I got the 0% finance deal, so I probably should put the money somewhere else, first :( ) Haven't even thought about what my next car will be- in the next decade they may come out with something really nice.

Mil, do you ever show your mom pictures of you on the motorcycle? :scared:

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
EVOLUTIONofMAN said:
This is hilarious. One of the many great perks about being a doctor. As long as your a great business man, and can back it up with your skills. Pretty much anything you've ever wanted can come true. Personally, this past year, in 2005, I managed just under 460K take home. Damn malpractice insurance. That's a lot of cash where I'm from and still is. With this much money and being a veteran of 12 years I've managed to buy, just recently, a brand new S65 Mercedes. I also own a Porsche Cabrerra GT and Aston Martin. I'm looking into buying some sort of Ferrari now that I've recently sold my Dodge Viper. Like I said, as long as your a great business man and can back it up. You've got it made. That is of course as long as you don't have tons of children. ;) Keep your head up. Don't let the pessimists out there get to you. Medicine is NOT a field where salaries are radiply deminishing and won't be for a long time. Oh yeah, and don't let me get started on the vacations. Docs have gotta have something to keep them ticking. :)

You "own" a 440k car and you dont even know the name of it?

Its hard to slide a "B" into Carrera accidently...

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
NYSLicense said:

Any thoughts?

I didnt even bother to read past the first post. Maybe I should have because you already beat me.

There is no Lexus LS550.

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Annette said:
And to think I was sooo excited about paying off my 2003 Honda Civic with my first paycheck! (but I got the 0% finance deal, so I probably should put the money somewhere else, first :( ) Haven't even thought about what my next car will be- in the next decade they may come out with something really nice.

Mil, do you ever show your mom pictures of you on the motorcycle? :scared:
Why....of course
:)

About the Ads