FOR THE NEW CA-1s....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UHHHHHHHHHHHH.......GEEZ I JUST TURNED 44 ON JULY 18th........SO MY MEMORY IS FADING...

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NUMONIC?? (yeah I know BERT thats not how you spell numonic but its the best I can do...)

MMAIDS???

oh yeah....Machine, Monitors, Airway, IV, Drugs, Suction....

what a stupid, but overwhelmingly useful tool!

I MEAN, WTF....

You're emerging from internship...ya got the medicine s hit figured out pretty well....you can admit, treat, discharge, dictate....

THEN YOU GET THROWN INTO THE ANESTHESIA MILLEAU WHICH IS TOTALLY FOREIGN....NOTHING IS RECOGNIZABLE.....

Come back to the basics, colleagues.

Check your machine. Make sure it is turned ON.yeah I've done inductions with the machine off....REALLY reduces pre-oxygenation efficacy...

Make sure your monitors are there. EKG, pulse ox, BP cuff, blah blah blah.

YES! Your airway stuff is there. What is it, July 21st? So you've already leaned toward your favorite blade. :)laugh:). Make sure its locked and loaded and the light is bright so you can leave your SEEING EYE DOG in the waiting room.

Yeah, you may haffta start your patient's IV. Sorry. I still haffta do it sometimes.

You're an anesthesiologist now so you need DRUGS. Establish a routine for routine cases. You need propofol, sux, rocuronium(or vec), fentanyl, and midazolam. Figure out what syringes you need for routine cases.....1 20mL, 1 10mL(sux), a 5mL(roc), and 2 two-mLs (one for fent, one for midaz).

Your syringe armamentarium may differ a little.....but do me a favor and arrive at some routine.

So you can roll into your assigned OR and set up for a routine case without thinking about it.

Finally, check your suction. Make sure theres a Yankeur that works.

MMAIDS. A REALLY USEFUL START TO YOUR DISORIENTATION WHICH WE ALL FELT.

You're on your way now.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I preoxygenated with 0.5L flow the other night :(. I keep wondering if MY patients are this friggin sick, what are the CA-3s taking care of????????

Members don't see this ad :)
uhhhhhhhhhhhh.......geez I Just Turned 44 On July 18th........so My Memory Is Fading...

what The Hell Is That Numonic?? (yeah I Know bert Thats Not How You Spell Numonic But Its The Best I Can Do...)

mmaids???

Oh Yeah....machine, Monitors, Airway, Iv, Drugs, Suction....

what A Stupid, But Overwhelmingly Useful Tool!

i Mean, Wtf....

You're Emerging From Internship...ya Got The Medicine S Hit Figured Out Pretty Well....you Can Admit, Treat, Discharge, Dictate....

then You Get Thrown Into The Anesthesia Milleau Which Is Totally Foreign....nothing Is Recognizable.....

Come Back To The Basics, Colleagues.

Check Your Machine. Make Sure It Is Turned on.yeah I've Done Inductions With The Machine Off....really Reduces Pre-oxygenation Efficacy...

Make Sure Your monitors Are There. Ekg, Pulse Ox, Bp Cuff, Blah Blah Blah.

yes! Your Airway Stuff Is There. What Is It, July 21st? So You've Already Leaned Toward Your Favorite Blade. :)laugh:). Make Sure Its locked And Loaded And The Light Is Bright So You Can Leave Your seeing Eye Dog In The Waiting Room.

Yeah, You May Haffta Start Your Patient's iv. Sorry. I Still Haffta Do It Sometimes.

You're An Anesthesiologist Now So You Need drugs. Establish A Routine For Routine Cases. You Need propofol, Sux, Rocuronium(or Vec), Fentanyl, And Midazolam. Figure Out What Syringes You Need For Routine Cases.....1 20ml, 1 10ml(sux), A 5ml(roc), And 2 Two-mls (one For Fent, One For Midaz).

Your Syringe Armamentarium May Differ A Little.....but Do Me A Favor And arrive At Some Routine.

So You Can Roll Into Your Assigned Or And Set Up For A Routine Case Without Thinking About It.

Finally, Check Your suction. Make Sure Theres A Yankeur That Works.

mmaids. A Really Useful Start To Your Disorientation Which We All Felt.

You're On Your Way Now.:thumbup:

Msmaids

UHHHHHHHHHHHH.......GEEZ I JUST TURNED 44 ON JULY 18th........SO MY MEMORY IS FADING...

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NUMONIC?? (yeah I know BERT thats not how you spell numonic but its the best I can do...)

MMAIDS???

oh yeah....Machine, Monitors, Airway, IV, Drugs, Suction....

what a stupid, but overwhelmingly useful tool!

I MEAN, WTF....

You're emerging from internship...ya got the medicine s hit figured out pretty well....you can admit, treat, discharge, dictate....

THEN YOU GET THROWN INTO THE ANESTHESIA MILLEAU WHICH IS TOTALLY FOREIGN....NOTHING IS RECOGNIZABLE.....

Come back to the basics, colleagues.

Check your machine. Make sure it is turned ON.yeah I've done inductions with the machine off....REALLY reduces pre-oxygenation efficacy...

Make sure your monitors are there. EKG, pulse ox, BP cuff, blah blah blah.

YES! Your airway stuff is there. What is it, July 21st? So you've already leaned toward your favorite blade. :)laugh:). Make sure its locked and loaded and the light is bright so you can leave your SEEING EYE DOG in the waiting room.

Yeah, you may haffta start your patient's IV. Sorry. I still haffta do it sometimes.

You're an anesthesiologist now so you need DRUGS. Establish a routine for routine cases. You need propofol, sux, rocuronium(or vec), fentanyl, and midazolam. Figure out what syringes you need for routine cases.....1 20mL, 1 10mL(sux), a 5mL(roc), and 2 two-mLs (one for fent, one for midaz).

Your syringe armamentarium may differ a little.....but do me a favor and arrive at some routine.

So you can roll into your assigned OR and set up for a routine case without thinking about it.

Finally, check your suction. Make sure theres a Yankeur that works.

MMAIDS. A REALLY USEFUL START TO YOUR DISORIENTATION WHICH WE ALL FELT.

You're on your way now.:thumbup:

I just started my first gas rotation as a fourth year and that mnemonic was the first thing I jotted down and memorized in my little notebook. Can't wait to be doing this stuff on a daily. Keep the tips coming!

Airway
Book
Chair
Doughnut
Eat
Funnies (read)
Go
Home

Pretty much how my day unfolds. NICE....

<sigh> 353 days and counting till ca-1... i can almost taste it...