For the underdogs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FistLength

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is to all my underdog pals, who everyone wrote us off, told us we can't make it. I remember not having any chances of going to a medical school (my undergrad "adviser" told me to quit), and I would look at threads for the underdogs for some much needed spirit boosters. So this one is for you.

My undergrad science gpa was probably around 3.1 with grade replacement, and overall gpa 3.3. I had to do an SMP, matched into a DO school. Grinded it out like a mad man, did research when my classmates were enjoying their summer, did research when my classmates were enjoying Christmas break, I published and got to present at awesome conferences. I settled on applying to a very competitive ACGME residency (1-2 DO's match yearly in the country). Everyone told me not to, my "adviser" at the med school told me "their are people that come into my office every year that tell me they want to go into _____ or _____ and I wan't to shake them and tell them you can't".

Well, I just matched into that very competitive specialty. Average skill phenomenal will. Keep grinding my underdogs, your day will come.

Update: Matched #1!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
This is to all my underdog pals, who everyone wrote us off, told us we can't make it. I remember not having any chances of going to a medical school (my undergrad "adviser" told me to quit), and I would look at threads for the underdogs for some much needed spirit boosters. So this one is for you.

My undergrad science gpa was probably around 3.1 with grade replacement, and overall gpa 3.3. I had to do an SMP, matched into a DO school. Grinded it out like a mad man, did research when my classmates were enjoying their summer, did research when my classmates were enjoying Christmas break, I published and got to present at awesome conferences. I settled on applying to a very competitive ACGME residency (1-2 DO's match yearly in the country). Everyone told me not to, my "adviser" at the med school told me "their are people that come into my office every year that tell me they want to go into _____ or _____ and I wan't to shake them and tell them you can't".

Well, I just matched into that very competitive specialty. Average skill phenomenal will. Keep grinding my underdogs, your day will come.
:soexcited::soexcited::clap::clap::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::luck::luck::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive::highfive::highfive::=|:-)::=|:-)::=|:-)::woot::woot::woot::claps::claps::claps::banana::banana::banana::biglove::biglove::biglove::hello::hello::hello:

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats and thank you for sharing. This is cool to hear.

I would love it if you answered any of the questions below-

1)did you do research prior to med school?
2)was the research during med school related to the field you matched into?
3)did you have any personal connections to the program that you matched in that could possibly have helped?
4)how many programs did you rank?
5)did you consider taking a research year? What drove your final decision if so?
6)step 1 and comlex scores?

Huge credit to achieving this- and I recognize that hard work got you there. I am curious what areas you assigned your efforts towards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats and thank you for sharing. This is cool to hear.

I would love it if you answered any of the questions below-

1)did you do research prior to med school?
2)was the research during med school related to the field you matched into?
3)did you have any personal connections to the program that you matched in that could possibly have helped?
4)how many programs did you rank?
5)did you consider taking a research year? What drove your final decision if so?
6)step 1 and comlex scores?

Huge credit to achieving this- and I recognize that hard work got you there. I am curious what areas you assigned your efforts towards.

Sure thing

1. Did not
2. Yes
3. We find out where we match tomorrow, so can't answer yet! I did 2 stints of research, one at a hospital far from my schools city ( none of the MD schools had research for me, had to drive 2-3 hours daily to get to the center). My second stint of research was at an away rotation, put in 12+ hour days (plus weekends if needed) and they were surprised how much I was able to get done.
4. 5
5. I did, however I have a wife and kid and I didn't find a research position that would allow me to support them. Ultimately I had to go all in with what I had.
6. 600+ comlex, 230's USMLE. The field itself has an avg greater than 240, so I was definitely wary going in...but it was my passion. People saw that on interviews. Bottom line: don't let your board scores hold you back if you think you can sell your story to PD's. Boards matter a lot, but they aren't the full story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You're lucky you still had grade replacement! lol

Reactions: 3 users
Wow congratulations man! Your hard work definitely paid off! I hope the merger is friendly to us! lol congrats again, Good luck!