For Thos That MAtched This year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO-Riz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wanted to congratulate everyone who matched this year into psych and for that have to scramble, my sincerest best of luck to u out there
If at all possible I was interested if the people who matched wouldnt mind posting there stats on thread on this format:
- Board Scores
- # Places Applied
- # Interviewed
- Where MAtched

Thanx again

Members don't see this ad.

DO-Riz said:
Hey just wanted to congratulate everyone who matched this year into psych and for that have to scramble, my sincerest best of luck to u out there
If at all possible I was interested if the people who matched wouldnt mind posting there stats on thread on this format:
- Board Scores
- # Places Applied
- # Interviewed
- Where MAtched

Thanx again

Step 1 199
Step 2 205

Places applied: UIC, Rush, University of Chicago, Loyola, Northwestern, NYU, Mount Sinai, Columbia, Beth Israel, U mass, Brown, MGH, Harvard Longwood, Harvard Southshore, Harvard Cambridge, Tufts, Boston University, Washington University, University of Wisconsin Madison

Interviewed: Received interviews from all of the above except Harvard Cambridge. Went to all the above except Northwestern and Loyola

Matched: NYU, 1st choice.

Hope that helps. Congrats to everyone who matched.

Honestly don't remember my COMLEX scores (I passed thats all I care about)

applied to around 20 programs

got interviews at LIJ, Cabrini, Beth Israel, Wash U, SLU, Univ. of MO, St. Lukes Roosevelt, Maimonides, Boston U, and OHSU. went to all but OHSU.

Matched at Beth Israel (#4). 1-3 were St Lukes, BU, and LIJ but I liked 1-4 pretty much equally

Members don't see this ad :)
step I 195
step II 213
Applied: MGH, longwood, cambridge, BU, Tufts, Brown, Upenn, temple, jefferson, columbia, einstein (nyc), mt. sinai, nyu, cornell, stanford, ucsf, ucsd
Interviews: longwood, BU, tufts, Brown, temple, jefferson, einstein, mt. sinai, nyu, stanford, ucsd

Rank List:
ucsd
longwood
brown
nyu
stanford
mt. sinai
bu
tufts

matched: ucsd

Step I - 211
Step II - 229
Applied - NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, LIJ, Penn, Yale, Brown, MGH, Longwood, Tufts, BU, Cambridge, Jefferson, Stonybrook, Umass, U Rochester, Upstate, New York Medical College, Beth Israel
Interviewed - All but MGH, Cornell, Columbia
Matched - Longwood

step 1: 249
step2: 246

Interviews: Yale, UNC, Brown, Ohio state, Indiana U, U kansas kansas city, U nebraska, U wisconsin

Matched U kansas Kansas City.

psychdynamics said:
step 1: 249
step2: 246

Interviews: Yale, UNC, Brown, Ohio state, Indiana U, U kansas kansas city, U nebraska, U wisconsin

Matched U kansas Kansas City.

Thanks to all those sharing your match info. If you could tell us what number your match was on your rank list as well as any pertinent information about you or your school (eg. DO, IMG, top 10, average, etc), that would also be very helpful.

boards:
step 1: 240
step 2: 228

applied to 29 programs, received 29 interviews, attended 15
interviews attended: duke, unc, yale, musc, nyu, penn, baylor, hopkins, columbia, maryland, michigan, utsw, emory, cornell, wash u.
rank list: same order as interviews attended
match: duke, first choice
school: top 10 allopathic school

congrats to everyone who matched this year, best of luck to those preparing for next year!!

Step I 249/II 231

Interviewed/Ranked: MUSC, Mich, Duke, UNC, MGH, Longwood.
No away rotations.

Matched: MUSC - top choice.

nortomaso said:
Thanks to all those sharing your match info. If you could tell us what number your match was on your rank list as well as any pertinent information about you or your school (eg. DO, IMG, top 10, average, etc), that would also be very helpful.

I ranked Kansas #1. I went to medical school to be a psychiatrist after working in the mental health field since I was 18. I'm 28 with 2 children and Kansas city is the best place for us to settle down, plus KC has a nice psychoanalytic institute. It was a psychosocial decision. Thanks for the interest.

Some people are posting some really high board scores...I am interested in psych, but haven't taken the boards yet. Are scores this high required to match at a good program in psych such as Duke, MUSC, USF? Also, what kinds of grades are acceptable/recommended (ex. all honors, some honors, high pass)? Thanks so much and congratulations on matching!

RustNeverSleeps said:
Some people are posting some really high board scores...I am interested in psych, but haven't taken the boards yet. Are scores this high required to match at a good program in psych such as Duke, MUSC, USF? Also, what kinds of grades are acceptable/recommended (ex. all honors, some honors, high pass)? Thanks so much and congratulations on matching!

My board scores were 214/194 and I applied to 19 programs and received 19 interviews to include Hopkins, Duke, UNC, MUSC, Emory, UTSW, Baylor. I interviewed at 4- Univ. of SC, MUSC, Emory, Wake Forest.

Matched #1 at Univ of SC

But to answer your question, I know that my average board scores were good enough to match at Emory and MUSC b/c of friends who matched there. Apply early and you'll get plenty of interviews in the southeast. I don't know about out west or northeast.

220 step I, 205 step II
applied only within philadelphia,
interviewed at Temple, Jeff, Penn

Matched at Temple, #2 on my list, and my home institution

RustNeverSleeps said:

I'll be blunt and say that my board scores were on the low side, if not bad depending on your perspective. Step 1 was 199 and step 2 was 205 (though, my programs didn't see step 2) I interviewed out east and received interviews at MGH, Columbia, Longwood, NYU, and a number of other solid programs. I did honor all but two (surgery and peds) of my rotations that were on my app in third and fourth year and the other two were high pass. I was contacted by the PDs after my interview at MGH, Columbia, Longwood, Brown, University of Chicago, University of Illinois, UW Madison, Wash U, and a few others. I guess my point is that I think your board scores are just one part of your application. I won't say they don't mean anything because they do, but I certainly think there is more to your application than test scores. My best advice is to do your best and shoot high. You never know what you can get unless you give it a shot.

RustNeverSleeps said:

High scores of any sort don't hurt but aren't necessary. Regardless of what people tell you, psych is still a buyer's (i.e. applicant favoring) market. Some of your hoity toity NE and Cali programs will require a little more by way of scores/honors/research, esp. if you come from a 2nd tier program from a different region like I do. Still my impression was that a solid record (no awful narrative comments, failed courses, repeated years) good letters and one or two distinguishing factoids (research, community service, etc...) will suffice for an interview and probably a match. Also, psych PDs appear to actually read the personal statement so a compelling narrative helps.

Good luck and please remember: everyone matches in psych.